A Village of Origami Houses

A Village of Origami Houses post image

A couple of weeks ago I saw a picture of a little origami house designed by Roman Diaz. I immediately fell in love with this archetypal house and its basic simplicity and symbolism. The question: how to fold it without diagrams?

As it turns out I was pleasantly surprised to find diagrams for this model in the newly published issue of the 4 Esquinas magazine. And not only were there diagrams but also an article written by Román about the design process. So, brush up your Spanish language skills and read that article!

The folding process of the house is delightful and the lock system Román used at the end to secure it all is clean and elegant. Since discovering the house and the diagrams, I have folded so many structures that I now have a village. And I fear it’s a village that’s rapidly growing into a small city.

Thanks to Román Diaz for granting me permission  to share this video demonstrating how to fold his charming creation. The folding method I’ve followed differs slightly in the order of diagrammed steps as presented in 4 Esquinas, but the result is identical.

Revista 4-Esquinas coverHaving had great satisfaction with the house, I’m diving back into 4 Esquinas for further inspiration. Just scanning through the other content offerings my fingers tickle with  desire to fold the chessboard (Beatriz Gonzalez), the owl (Esteban Saltos), the butterfly (Daniel Naranjo), the modular (Paolo Bascetta), and peruse the articles on elements of photography (Oscar Osorio) and the division of a line into equal segments (Oscar Rojas). An excellent issue, 4 Esquinas. Thank you!

• Tess Dillenberger May 9, 2015, 7:15 pm

What a wonderful little house! Thanks, Leyla – your simplified folding directions are just great. My little brown (paper bag) house fits in nicely here in the forest.

• Sofi September 18, 2013, 10:45 pm

Hi! What is the size of the paper?

• Leyla Torres September 19, 2013, 2:45 pm

Hi Sofi,

You can make this house with different size papers. But with paper 6 x 6 inches you will end up with a nice house.

• Ryynette November 26, 2011, 5:41 pm

I made one and it makes a very nice addtion to my origami shelf! I love how it is 3D, a modern twist on the traditional oragami house, which is flat.

• David Raynor April 14, 2011, 5:32 pm

There’s a picture on the BOS Facebook page. This link might work…

or this one:

(Sorry! I don’t know how to post a photo directly to your site!)

David

• David Raynor April 14, 2011, 2:34 pm

Lovely!
    I was taught this last weekend at the British Origami Society Spring Convention in Birmingham, England. It was taught by Rob Foord, who has worked out a way to change the proportions as well.
    I will show this video to my friends.
    Thank you.

• Leyla Torres April 14, 2011, 5:03 pm

Thank you David, I’d love to see the little house made with different proportion. If possible, please post a photo!

Leyla

• Amy April 6, 2011, 9:13 pm

Everyone’s having trouble with the lock- including me! I watched the lock part 4 times before finally fixing the house! It’s adorable!

• Candace Paska March 31, 2011, 1:15 am

Folded my first little house since Cosi’s. Without your video, I never would have recalled the final lock!

• Leyla Torres March 31, 2011, 1:21 am

Hi Candy! I’m happy you folded it again. I love this little house!

• Laura March 4, 2011, 9:11 pm

No se puede creer, la maravilla de los encastres, una delicia. Gracias Román y, y a ti, Leyla, por explicarlo tan bien!

• Millie February 13, 2011, 4:05 pm

Yes, yes, yes!!! Thank you Leyla!! I couldn’t figure out the lock from the diagrams, and Roman said you were making this video! Thank you!! I LOVE this house! I put them on the table with a treat underneath for each person at the table!

• Hans Dybkjær January 24, 2011, 7:31 pm

Hi Leyla,
    A cute little house, and nicely demonstrated. I like the slow pace which allows me to fold along without stopping the video, and you are good at pointing out the what should happen, even if I saw it with no sound.
    Best regards, Hans

• Layla May 26, 2014, 2:34 pm

Thank you for watching my video and enjoying it.
      Kind regards