A Valentine’s Origami Picture Frame

origami-heart picture frame

The heart-shaped picture frame shown in the left panel was designed by Mike Van Horne. It’s a nice and easy origami model folded from the windmill base.

For the variation shown on the right, I added a few more folds that made for a firmer lock, removed the small white “slits” and  produced the solid red color on the sides.

Here is a video to fold the windmill base,
Have a happy Valentine’s Day!

……

Gallery of hearts folded by friends of Origami Spirit

Have you folded this heart? I’d love to feature it here.  Click and Attach a photo here and send it to me.

• Meenakshi April 15, 2014, 9:26 pm

I made your version recently!
    I was looking for such a frame for my niece and this page came up in the search! Thanks!
    Please see http://www.origamee.net/gallery/2014/heartframe.jpg

• Zen February 12, 2014, 11:17 pm

I DID it! Tonight was my first time with origami and I already have a couple different frames posted. Took a little bit because I inverted the colors originally (Must have a red heart) but it was well worth the effort! In the windmill tutorial, please be more specific for what color goes in the folds and in the background. Otherwise, this is amazing! THANK YOU for this awesome idea! Perfect hand-made V-Day gift just in time :)

• Blanca May 28, 2013, 7:38 pm

I really like this, I am looking to make invitations and I’d love to use this, can anyone post a tutorial please?

• Leyla Torres May 30, 2013, 10:47 am

On this post here, there is a link to a video to make the base -windmill base. Make it, compare it with the photo of the heart… I invite you to use your creativity and figure out how to make the few extra folds to make the heart.
      Cheers, Leyla Torres

• Blanca May 30, 2013, 11:38 am

Thank you for your quick reply, unfortunately this is of no help to me, as I have no experience with origami.

• Leyla Torres May 30, 2013, 11:50 am

You should give it a try anyway. By doing so you WILL gain experience with origami.
          Hopefully I will make a video in the future. Thank you for writing, Blanca.
          Leyla

• ran October 18, 2012, 10:46 pm

can you do a tutorial on the heart frame? thanks!

• Sass March 17, 2011, 9:39 pm

Very nice ..love the changes. Unfortunately I have no idea how to fold it :(

• Millie February 15, 2011, 1:21 am

WooBoy! I was able to do the original, but yours is awesome! Can’t figure it out though…Really cool.