14 Suggestions for Finished Origami Models

14 Suggestions for Finished Origami Models post image

What can we do with that ever-increasing inventory of finished origami models?

Here are some ideas:

• 1.Document If you like a particular model, keep one that’s nicely folded and on it write the model name, the designer, and where to find diagrams.
  • 2. Display Photograph models and share them on personal Flickr and Facebook albums.
  • 3. Be Inspired Place models in a large clear glass jar. The varied shapes and colors will inspire you to fold and others to learn.
  • 4. Celebrate On World Origami Days: October 24 to November 11th, distribute models in a public place such as a bookstore or park.
  • 5. Share Give models to children on Halloween or to friends and colleagues at work or school.
  • 6. Be Grateful In your wallet, keep a model that folds flat. At a favorite restaurant leave it along with your tip.
  • 7. Surprise Abandon models in unexpected places and imagine who might find them.

Origami frog on a sidewalk manhole cover

• 8. Participate Join “Origami for the people” -a Flikr group dedicated to documenting the placement of origami models in public places.
  • 9. Donate Models can be used when fundraising for good causes. For example, origami models have been used to raise funds for victims of the earthquake and tsunami in Japan.
  • 10. Provide Comfort Give models to the elderly or infirm at a hospital or nursing home.
  • 11. Encourage Business At a tag sale, give a free model to customers with a purchase.
  • 12. Teach Show a model to a child, tell them it’s made from a square piece of paper and let the magic of unfolding begin!
  • 13. Liberate Boulder those old models and make room for the new.
  • 14. Play and recycle Let your cats bat models around and then into the wastebasket they go! The models that is.

Have any more ideas on what to do with finished models? If you do, please share!

• Cherubrox April 7, 2016, 7:44 pm

I have stars all over my wall (blutacked) and kusudamas hung from my roof (using string and blutack). I also love playing with some of my stronger models!

• Leyla Torres April 11, 2016, 12:28 pm

Your room must look like a joyful galaxy, full of stars and kusudamas. I love imagining it!
      Thank you for writing and sharing.

• Cindy January 16, 2015, 7:06 am

Leyla,
    A lot of my models become cat toys!!! Also, I teach water exercise to seniors. Every couple of months I take a box of treasures in to share with the ladies. They love it!!!

• jason May 7, 2013, 1:36 pm

Take a hanger or a wire and string up some models into a mobile. Hang it up over a table, in a kid’s room or out on your screen porch and watch the models in the breeze.

• Pat Felton August 17, 2012, 9:20 pm

Kind of like the glass jar, but I have a very large bell cloche that I inverted and filled to the brim with origami models, then set with the open end down on a base. I display it as art and have even put it in an art show. It is so very colorful and the varied shapes are fascinating.

• Candice Bradley, Ph.D. August 17, 2012, 9:12 pm

Very cool,Leyla! I love your post and I added myself to the Origami for the People page! Thanks much!

• MaryAnn Scheblein-Dawson May 20, 2011, 11:44 am

Leyla:

this is the only joke I know in Japanese……

(based on your photo of the models in the wastebasket)

Origomi (gomi=garbage)

; – )

MaryAnn

• Leyla Torres May 20, 2011, 11:51 am

Ori-gomi!! Very funny! I’m making a lot of it these day s;-)

• rosalba May 4, 2011, 12:37 am

Leyla es un àngel iluminada por otro àngeles.
    Todos amamos las manos de Leyla, pues esa manos hacen lo que millones de manos no podemos elaborar Rosalba

• Scifimom May 3, 2011, 2:18 pm

I use my old models to make dull paper wrappings more interesting, I glue them on gifts instead of ribbons my friends are more excited for the wrapping than for the gift itself. Most of them keep them on their desks.

Whenever we have kids at home I always let them choose a model to take at home with them, I am the coolest mom in the class

• Leyla Torres May 3, 2011, 2:20 pm

I like it when people don’t want to open their present because the wrapping is so beautifu. Thank you for sharing!