A Gift for Your Dentist

A Gift for Your Dentist post image

When I saw a class offering of an origami tooth at the 2011 Origami USA convention in New York, I jumped at the opportunity to learn a great model. It’s perfect to give to my dentist as a gift.

This origami tooth is Marc Kirschenbaum’s creation. Marc is a prolific origami designer and book author who shares his work on his website Sakura Origami,  and who has generously granted me permission to demonstrate the folding of this model in the following video.

I like the tooth’s folding sequence because of its pleasing symmetry and the potential for making variations leading to the creation of other models. For example, when turned upside down, I imagine folding it into a basket or container.

An origami molar I folded out of ivory color Stardream® paper is now sitting on a shelf in the studio waiting for my next dental appointment. I will let you know how my dentist reacts. At the least I hope he gives me a big smile!

If you give your dentist an origami tooth, share with us their reaction!

. . . . . . . . . .

• Sid Melton January 12, 2017, 3:03 pm

I did a set of these for my dentist friend. He doesn’t pull teeth so getting some paper ones in a jar was a thrill for him. I even did one of the teeth in gold foil paper. It sits on his desk and is one of his favorite origami treasures.

• Leyla Torres January 19, 2017, 4:43 pm

Yes, my dentist loved this too. I must make the golden one as well. Thank you for your visit!

• Minal March 29, 2016, 12:01 am

I want to create this art, but I was hoping to make a smaller version. Is it possible to use a 5×5 sheet of paper instead of 7×7?

• Leyla Torres April 5, 2016, 11:16 am

Yes, you can make this origami tooth smaller. Make sure your paper is thin and always square.
      Best wishes!

• Eric March 20, 2016, 9:32 am

Thank you for posting this video. I made a tooth for my dentist. He seemed genuinely pleased, even bringing it out of his office for a follow-up appointment I had. He noted the many folds, and was interested in the connection between origami and mathematics. your considerable teaching skills made it possible to brighten his day.

• Leyla Torres March 23, 2016, 5:49 pm

Hi Eric. It’s a lot of fun to share this model with our dentist. Thank you for writing about your how you share it!

• Andréa December 1, 2012, 2:51 pm

Muito obrigada por produzir o vídeo!O dente é muito bacana!Abraços!

• Adrian November 29, 2012, 11:19 pm

Thank you for your suggestion. I made it on my second attempt :)

• Adrian November 29, 2012, 11:18 am

I can’t make it. My paper teared when I was doing the rabbit ear fold.

• Leyla Torres November 29, 2012, 12:31 pm

I suggest you try with another type of paper, perhaps one thinner than the one you are using now.

• Scott November 25, 2012, 5:44 pm

nice project, but it her tooth ends up being inside out!(colored side hidden)!

• Leyla Torres November 25, 2012, 6:45 pm

If the tooth tooth ends up being inside out, start our on the other side of the paper.

• jose fabian August 18, 2012, 6:19 pm

como cuando llegan los dobladores de papel?

• Ryynette November 26, 2011, 5:51 pm

Pretty practical. I can imagine a dentist loving this model!

• Leyla Torres November 26, 2011, 6:25 pm

Yes! Mine loved it. I gave it to him last Wednesday. He was very happy!

• Darryl September 30, 2011, 8:41 am

Thanks so much for posting this! And thanks to the author for giving you permission to post the how-to video. I knew when I read about this on the origami list that I wanted to make one for my dentist. Here’s a pic of mine in the car outside of her office: http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsc5auEBoM1qhgah3o1_500.png

She absolutely LOVED it! Her assistant (and hygienist in the adjacent room) thought that it was really amazing. They are proudly displaying it on a shelf in her office.

Paper used: natural white WOVE 25% cotton 90 g/m²

• Leyla Torres October 5, 2011, 11:00 am

Hi Darryl,
      I’m very glad you enjoyed, and your dentist and assistants liked it.
      Thank you for sharing the link to the photo of your origami tooth. It looks terrific!

• Barb September 14, 2011, 8:09 pm

Thank you Leyla, have been trying to work it out myself but do not have enough experience, Thank you again. Thank you to M Kirchenbaum

• Leyla Torres September 14, 2011, 10:30 pm

Hi Barb, don’t despair if it does not come out on the first tries. You might want to leave it for a few days and try again. Many times our brain works things out in unconscious ways. What is important is that you don’t give up!