Virgin and Child post image

On her blog, Vera Young has shared diagrams and an image of her interpretation of Our Lady of Aparecida (Nossa Senhora Aparecida), by Emilson Nunes, author of this wonderful book:

The dark-skinned virgin, venerated in the Catholic Church, is the patron saint of Brazil. Her feast day is celebrated every year on October 12th.

Painters and sculptors throughout the history of western art have used their skills in creating images of the Madonna.

Vera’s image inspired me to create the origami version of the virgin shown in the photo here. Unlike Our Lady of Aparecida, this virgin holds in her arms a child that is clothed in a white tunic.

To make the virgen’s halo: You can use any ring or wreath you like. In this case, I used models found in  Origami Rings & Wreaths by Tomoko Fuse.

To make the child:

• Make the head in a similar fashion as the virgin’s, but smaller.
  • Here are step folds for the tunic.
  • Here are step folds for the hands.
  • For the halo, be creative, there are dozens of origami wreaths and rings you can use. This one in particular is called “sunburst”. Diagrams found in Complete Origami(Eric Kenneway) p.110

• Kathy December 5, 2011, 6:02 am

I just want to say thank you for sharing this. I’ve looked at a lot of origami models tonight but just seeing this made me happy in a child-like way, with the bright colors and the familiar origami models put together in a new way. :)

Also, thank you for the photo of the last steps to make the modular origami star variation by Robert Paul Miller. I had been a little confused by them in a book I have of Christmas origami, but now it’s much clearer.

• Leyla Torres December 6, 2011, 9:30 am

Hi Kathy. I’m glad you enjoy the virgin and child in this post. Thank you for your comments.

• Ancella November 17, 2011, 10:53 pm

Hello Leyla! Thank you for sharing this blog post. I will definitely fold this :-)

• Leyla Torres November 18, 2011, 3:25 am

Hi Ancella, send a link to a picture when you fold it!

• FranT November 15, 2011, 8:46 am

This is wonderful! what a talent you have! [ I found your blog through the blog Upon A Fold. I am so glad I did]

• David Wires November 14, 2011, 11:24 pm

Very bright and inviting!

• Andria November 14, 2011, 9:33 pm

This is so charming! I got diagrams for the Virgin Mary off Vera Young’s website. Will you be posting diagrams for the Infant Jesus? (Hint, hint.) Thank you! (PS–Enjoy your site and blog very much. Thanks for sharing your talent with the rest of us.)

• Leyla Torres November 15, 2011, 1:34 pm

Hi Andria, I hope to be doing some photo steps for baby Jesus tunic soon. His head is made exactly as the virgin, but smaller.
      Thank you for your message.

• Leyla Torres November 16, 2011, 11:14 pm

Photo steps to make the child have been added. Look at the end of the post.

• Vera Young November 14, 2011, 3:21 pm

Leyla, sua “Virgin and Child” está maravilhosa!!!
    Para nós., eu e Emilson, é uma honra servir de inspiração para você… Muito obrigada!
    Adoro a delicadeza, a simplicidade e a generosidade de seus posts, fotos e comentários!
    Posso incluir a sua interpretação da Virgem no nosso álbum do Facebook “N. Sra Aparecida dobrada por muitas mãos…”?
    Um beijo carinhoso, Vera.

• Leyla Torres November 14, 2011, 3:31 pm

Sim Vera, por todos os meios! Você pode incluir esta virgen en el álbum. Por favor me envie um link para o álbum.