How to Fold an Origami Lotus Flower

How to Fold an Origami Lotus Flower post image

Have you ever heard that the soothing power of repetition has a calming and peaceful effect on the spirit? By repeatedly folding this traditional origami lotus flower that calming effect is precisely what you might experience.

When we fold the same origami figure many times, maybe even experimenting with different papers and sizes, we also begin to discover some of its secrets. As we understand the folding process more clearly we can develop easier ways to fold it.

Here is a video where I demonstrate how to make an origami lotus flower.

On a more practical note, you might consider using this origami lotus as a gift decoration.
It will look so pretty that the receiver might not want to open the present!

Use a small self-adhesive crystal to add some sparkle and embellish the center of the flower.

—–

If you haven’t yet, click here to subscribe to this blog
and receive coming posts via e-mail.

• Laila April 16, 2015, 2:55 pm

Hi Leyla,

I would like to know which size of paper you used to do the smallest one (on a penny coin). You did a very, very nice tutorial video. Thank you so much to this good job!

Kind regards from Brazil. :-)

• Leyla Torres April 18, 2015, 9:31 am

Hi Laila, to be honest I don’t remember the exact size paper I used for the smallest. It might have been 1 inch (2.5 cm)

• katrina August 18, 2013, 9:27 pm

Hello Leyla,
    I love the slightly transluscent quality the paper has for your pink lotus flower
    pictured in your tutorial. Is this a particular brand of origami paper? I’d love to find it if it is, it adds such realism to the lotus flower.
    Many, many thanks for your tutorials; they are simply wonderful, and have allowed me to experience origami with less frustration!!
    Kind regards,
    Katrina

• Leyla Torres August 19, 2013, 1:03 pm

Hi Katrina,
      This kind of paper is called “glassine”. You can find it at Kim’s Crane. It is also known as KITE paper.

• katrina August 21, 2013, 1:56 am

Thank you Leyla, I will look it up. It’s so pretty: I’ve made a lot of your little lotus flowers and they are always very well received. Used as a decoration on a tray of home baking is another pretty use for them. Thanks again all the way from New Zealand! :)

• Poppy July 2, 2013, 1:41 am

Too hard

• Alessandra June 30, 2013, 8:14 pm

I have always wanted to do this model,but I could not find the directions in an easy to understand way. I am going to try this right now. Thank you!

• michal April 1, 2013, 9:28 am

ola, leyla!
    linda flor!!!
    voce tem o diagrama? poderia me mandar?
    desde ja obrigada e um abraco
    michal

• Jessica Jones December 13, 2012, 5:17 pm

Oooo, so pretty!

• Wendy November 23, 2012, 11:28 am

Very nice. Thank you for your clear videos. You´ve awakened my spirit for origami. I simply love it.

• Aida Urrutia Uribe November 20, 2012, 5:55 pm

Estimada Leyla..

Hermosa flor que compartes con tanta generosidad.! ..y que buenas y claras, son tus explicaciones ..!
    Un afectuoso abrazo desde Chile.

Aída Urrutia Uribe.

• Bonny November 19, 2012, 10:02 pm

Oh, Leyla, you’ve done it again! I love, love, love your videos. I am usually able to fold the figure correctly the first time thanks to your clear directions and patient explanations. I’m so excited you are doing the videos on a regular basis. It is the highlight of my week! Thank you and happy folding! Please keep the videos coming.

• Leyla Torres November 19, 2012, 10:15 pm

Thank you Bonny, I’m glad you like my videos. Please share them with your friends!