Make an Origami Dove and Share the Peace of Folding Paper

Make an Origami Dove and Share the Peace of Folding Paper post image

The year is coming to an end and I want to take this opportunity to express my appreciation for all of your visits, comments and continued support for our work at Origami Spirit. I’d also like to extend a very special thank you to those who have generously donated funds to help maintain this website. You know who you are, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Not that long ago, the origami crane, -a traditional Japanese model, was popularized as a symbol of peace by the story of Sadako Sasaki (1943–1955) a young girl who died in 1945, in Hiroshima, when an atomic bomb was dropped on that city.

Another symbol of peace from ancient times is that of a dove carrying an olive leaf in its beak. The dove and olive branch first appeared together in the biblical story of Noah and the Ark.

To celebrate the spirit of peace and tranquility that origami brings to us all, I’d like to share with you a video outlining the instructions to make a peace dove. This special origami bird is a creation of Simon Andersen (1946-2013), a brilliant origami designer.  For diagrams please visit Hans Dybkjær’s website, papirfoldning.

Tips and suggestions to make this origami Peace Dove

• Use a rectangular piece of paper US letter size or International A4.
  • Starting from a square, cut off a strip 1/4 of its side for an adequate rectangle.
  • White paper has a beautifully crisp and snowy effect.
  • Try vellum or translucent paper as well.
  • For the leave, use a 1 x 1 inch square of card stock paper.
  • Use it as a Christmas homemade gift.
  • Use it as a lantern by inserting flameless battery powered ‘tea light’ candles.
  • FREE PRINTABLE: download a pattern made with the word Peace in about 30 languages and use it to make the origami peace dove. Click Here

“Peace begins with a smile..”
― Mother Teresa

origami-peacedove-lantern-

Make an origami peace-dove, smile and share the peace of folding paper!

Peace :: Paz :: Pau :: ཞི་བད :: Мир :: Fred :: Friede :: 平和 :: Mír :: سلام
Rahu :: Baké :: صلح :: Rauha :: Paix :: Maluhia :: שלום :: शांति :: Kev tiaj tus
Béke :: 평화  :: Pax :: Vrede :: K’é :: Pokój :: Pace :: Barış :: Ειρήνη :: 和平 :: Qasikay

origami-peacedove-box-lantern

. . . . . . . . . .

If you like what you find here on Origami Spirit, click to subscribe
for upcoming posts notifications –It’s easy and FREE!

• Joseph Nir November 30, 2016, 12:16 pm

The word in Hebrew is printed in reverse םולש . It should be שלום.
    Could you please correct it and upload updated version for printing?
    Thanks
    Joseph

• Leyla Torres December 1, 2016, 10:15 pm

Thank you for your observation. I’ll keep it in mind, but at the moment I cannot promise I can upload a correction any time soon.

• Marjolein December 11, 2015, 1:50 pm

Thank you for sharing! Your dove will give many people pleasure. It is a beautiful model.

• Ali May 25, 2015, 1:07 am

Thank you Dear Leyla for sharing this inspiring piece of work. One point about the printable paper though, the Arabic/Persian words are printed with separate letters(ص ل ح) instead of صلح. Would you please kindly consider redesigning the paper so we can use it too, in Persian countries?

• Leyla Torres May 25, 2015, 10:23 pm

Thank you Ali for your observation. I will take a look to my files and see how I can change the design of the paper.

• Leyla Torres September 10, 2015, 4:00 pm

I worked on it and uploaded a new file. I think it’s now fixed. Thank you!

• Karen Elaine January 12, 2015, 6:40 pm

Hi Leyla, Once again you have presented a wonderful tutorial. I love this model! Thank you again for sharing your passion for origami with all of us.

• Xrizzy June 27, 2014, 4:09 pm

Hello Lyla,
    I love the the way you always bring some extra beauty to the models you fold.
    Unfortunatly the download link for the printable paper (http://www.origamispirit.com/download/11943/) does not work for me. Am I the only one? Thank you in advance for looking into this and for your precious work. Yours, Xrizzy

• Leyla Torres June 28, 2014, 7:24 am

Hi Xrizzi,
      Thank you for writing. I’ll check on the link early next week.

• Oribead Origamibead May 9, 2014, 11:55 am

Thank you Leyla for sharing this beautiful dove. I love to watch you fold, it is so relaxing.

• Origami Türk January 12, 2014, 5:27 pm

nice work Leyla, waiting for new stuffs

• Susan Townsend December 24, 2013, 4:26 pm

Merry Christmas Leyla !
    I have enjoyed your site all year .
    It has been such a blessing to me .

• Linda December 24, 2013, 2:41 pm

Beautiful model. I have already taught this to friends and the “peace” paper is a nice addition. Would it be possible to do other origami birds by this creator?

• Hans Dybkjær December 19, 2013, 5:38 pm

Very nice variation, Leyla, and as always an exemplary presentation.
    You refer to the Danish diagram page, the English (including link to English diagram) is here: http://papirfoldning.dk/en/simons/mindeord.html. I think I still prefer the original slimmer and soft version with the pointed tail, but it is great to experiment with different paper sizes and see what happens to the model.

• Leyla Torres December 19, 2013, 5:43 pm

Thank you Hans, for all your sharing in the spirit of origami. I did not realized your page was in English too. I changed the link above, in the blog post.

• Danielle December 18, 2013, 12:00 am

Leyla,

Thank you for sharing such beautiful work. You have put a lot of thought into presentation and the rich possibilities of the models. I love the candle in the dove. This will make a super gift! Merry Christmas!

• Leyla Torres December 18, 2013, 8:37 am

I made some doves as presents too. I’ll place them on our Christmas table for each guest. Merry Christmas to you too Danielle!

• helena December 17, 2013, 7:18 pm

Thanks Leyla!
    It´s so beautiful this bird…I´m already folding 7 lovely models to give, tomorow, to 7 lovely friends…Everything is marvelous! The model, the paper you send us, the video, all done with such love for this beautiful Art..
    Have a Nice Christmas, Leyla!

• Leyla Torres December 18, 2013, 8:32 am

I’m happy you like the dove and it’s useful to you. Thank you Helena. Have a nice Christmas too and a happy New Year!

• Marsha Sue Pitman December 17, 2013, 10:07 am

Leyla, this is a really awesome dove that I am going to make for my grandson’s teachers at school! Your video is clear and concise, easy to follow, and a joy to view! Thank you so much for all that you do to share the joy of origami with us! May God bless you richly this Christmas Season!

• Rosemary Browne December 17, 2013, 9:58 am

Big oops … my apologies to Hans. I was thinking Hans and wrote Simon Anderson; who is also a brilliant creator.

Thank you once more, Leyla a lovely way to close a fantastic year of folding!

Rosemary

• Leyla Torres December 17, 2013, 10:26 am

Yes, Rosemary, actually our gratitude to both Simon (rest in peace) for his wonderful creativity and Hans for his making diagrams available.

• Rosemary Browne December 17, 2013, 9:50 am

Leyla and Simon … simply and utterly beautiful! Thank you both The creator and the folder is indeed harmony in action.

Best wishes,

Rosemary

• Ute Mörchen December 17, 2013, 4:51 am

Dear Leyla,
    thank you so much! I look forward to fold it!

• Leyla Torres December 17, 2013, 8:12 am

Hi Ute, I’m sure you’ll like it. I look forward to seeing what paper you use!

• Susan December 17, 2013, 4:30 am

Elegant! I searched to find the instructions on how to make a silver rectangle out of a 8.5 x 11 letter sized (http://erikdemaine.org/thok/amletter.html) but I like the way it turns out with the standard size. Makes it a little plumper. I went to the web-site for the diagrams, but like your simplified & softer folds better. Thanks!

• Leyla Torres December 17, 2013, 8:09 am

Hi Susan,
      It is wonderful to experiment with different rectangles and compare the birds.
      The diagrams show the process using A4 only. My adapted folding process can be used with rectangles of different proportions. I like the result when I fold it from a 3:4 rectangle.

• Hans Dybkjær December 19, 2013, 5:42 pm

Concerning the softer folds, Nick Robinson advocates a symbol with a heart meaning “fold with feeling”. And this model really benefits from that, whatever paper you use. Maybe I should have included that symbol in the diagram.
      Have fun,
      Hans

• Jihane December 17, 2013, 2:31 am

Thank you Leyla too for your website fresh and fun, which shows us the essence of origami as i understand it : simplicity, elegance, creativity, fun, and sharing.
    Bonne année !

• Leyla Torres December 17, 2013, 8:04 am

Dear Jihane,
      I love your concise description of origami.
      Bonne Année!

• Jihane December 17, 2013, 2:25 am

Lovely. I love this kind of models where simplicity means elegance.

• David December 16, 2013, 11:35 pm

This is a wonderful model, thank you for sharing!

• Leyla Torres December 17, 2013, 8:02 am

Hi David,
      This origami bird is indeed wonderful. Simon Andersen’s work shows us paper folding from a unique perspective and sensitivity.