A Cute Origami Cat -It’s a Box Too! (Version 2 of 2)

A Cute Origami Cat -It’s a Box Too! (Version 2 of 2) post image

In the previous post I shared a delightful origami Cat-box created by Gay Merrill Gross. Using Gay’s cat as a springboard, I felt inspired to design my own version of this cat-box model. Filled with candy corn it will be a charming Halloween cat. It can also be used to make favors for a kid’s birthday party.

The body of my version is basically the same except for the last fold of the box which has been omitted. The head, like Gay’s model, is also made from a square –but bigger, and  the folding process and resulting head are completely different.  My inspiration for this cat head comes from an  origami cat designed by Hiroaki Takai.

The following step-by-step video shows how to make my origami cat.

Tips and suggestions for making the origami cat

• Use thin paper such as ‘Kami’.
  • Two squares of paper are needed, one for the body and one for the head.
  • The side of the square used for the head should be three quarters of the side of the square used for the body.
  • A 6 x 6-inch (15 × 15cm) piece of paper or bigger is perfect for the body.
  • A 4.5 x 4.5-inch (11.25 x.11.25cm) piece of paper is the corresponding size for the head.
  • The finished body shows only one side of the paper. It isn’t necessary to use paper with a different color on each side.
  • The finished head does show both sides of the paper. You can use either paper with the same color on both sides or paper with different color on each side.

. . . . . . . . . .

Origami Cat-Box –Version 2 (Designed by Leyla Torres)origami-cat-LEYLA-1000

. . . . . . . . . .

Origami Cat-Box –Version 1 (Designed by Gay Merrill Gross)
Click here for post and video

. . . . . . . . . .

If you like what you find here on Origami Spirit, click to subscribe
for upcoming posts notifications –It’s easy and FREE!

• Marilen October 2, 2016, 6:36 am

Hi Leyla,
    where do you buy your origami duo color paper?

• Leyla Torres October 5, 2016, 3:42 pm

Hi Marilen, I usually buy origami paper online. Check the shop at origamiusa.org

• Ginger Phillips April 23, 2015, 4:40 pm

Hi Leyla,

A friend taught me the cat box and I have made a lot of them. I am going to teach
    this to my senior friends tomorrow. I changed the head and made a dog. This is a
    very easy box to change into various animals.

I made one change to the model that looks real cute. Fold the inside bottom corners of the legs in and the feet look pointed.

I love all your great ideas and the easy way you teach. Please keep giving us
    new models so that we can teach our friends and they think that we are really
    good at our origami. Ginger

• Leyla Torres April 28, 2015, 3:20 am

Yes, Ginger, This is a very easy box to change into different animals! I’m glad you enjoyed it.
      Thank you for sharing your suggestions here with us!

• Pat April 21, 2015, 9:20 am

Hi Leyla,
    I had fun making cat number 2. As a matter of fact, I made 2. Then made your mouse for them to play with.
    My grandson loved watching me ” blow up” the mouse. This activity is great for children. It shows them them that art comes in many forms.
    Thank you for all of your efforts!

• Scott Cramer April 20, 2015, 7:58 pm

Delightful kitty and fun to fold! I think Takai’s cat is just perfect, and you have done a wonderful adaptation with this model. Thanks, Leyla!