Make an Origami Happy Monkey!

Make an Origami Happy Monkey! post image

It’s time to say good bye to the Chinese year of the sheep and welcome the Year of the Fire Monkey (February 8, 2016 – January27, 2017)! To celebrate this Chinese New Year holiday I’ve designed an origami happy monkey which I hope will make you smile.

The Monkey is ninth in the 12-year cycle of animals which appear in the Chinese zodiac. People born in the years 1920, 1932, 1944, 1956, 1968, 1980, 1992, 2004, 2016 are born under the sign of the Monkey.

The Monkey is curious, creative, clever,and mischievous. Those born in the year of the monkey always have good intentions but must be careful not to hurt other’s feelings by playing practical jokes. The Fire Monkey is energetic, impulsive, social, and loves being a leader.

Let the Monkey help us to increase our communication skills with humor and wit. May the monkey assist us in getting through stressful times with grace and ease.

The following step-by-step video shows how to make this happy origami monkey. Make it and share it with your family and friends and may it bring much happiness to all of you.

Tips and suggestions for making the origami monkey

• In the video the monkey is demonstrated using Kami paper.
  • A good paper size to learn this model would be 6×6-inch (15×15cm)
  • The finished paper monkey shows two sides of the paper. For best effect, use paper of the light color on one side and dark color on the other side.
  •  You might want to draw two black dots for eyes to add charm to your monkey.

. . . . . . . . . .

If you like what you find here on Origami Spirit, click to subscribe
for upcoming posts notifications –It’s easy and free!

. . . . . . . . . .

“Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle,
and the life of the candle will not be shortened.
Happiness never decreases by being shared.”
Buddha

Monkey-Ley-fb-851

• Lucy Gordon February 12, 2016, 11:47 am

Leyla, thank you for sharing your expertise and professionalism on the art of folding origami. I find your video tutorials calming and easy to fallow. Please bring back the wonderful bamboo folder tool, i would love to have one soon. Thank you once again for sharing your folding techniques.

• Leyla Torres February 13, 2016, 12:09 pm

You are welcome Lucy. I’m glad you enjoy the tutorials. I’m looking into how I can make the tool available again!

• Ella February 11, 2016, 9:49 pm

Its my favorite origami animal!
    Thanks a lot for this great idea!!

• Pat Demharter February 4, 2016, 10:26 am

Hi Leyla,
    This piece is very unique. It was fun to do! This would be great project for each Chinese New Year! A great way to show your wonderful talent in designing!
    I enjoyed reading the reasearch you did explaining what the Fire Monkey represents. Also, as always, your words of inspiration.
    I am the year of the horse. I am not sure what year it will be.

Warm regards,
    Pat

• Leyla Torres February 4, 2016, 10:52 am

Hi Pat, thank you for your warm words!
      We had a year of the horse in 2014… so we have 10 more years for it to come back again ;-) At the beginning of that year I posted a nice and easy horse. Perhaps you’ve already folded it.
      Here is the link to the post

• Pat Demharter February 4, 2016, 3:34 pm

Oh! Yes I did. I folded the Carousel. I have on my desk. Our Grandchildren love to play with it.
        I do too. When I just want a few minutes to think, guess what I do. You got it. I give it a whirl!

• Leyla Torres February 8, 2016, 9:25 pm

Oh yes, the carousel has a warm spot in my heart. Happy you enjoy it!

• Toni Löffler February 3, 2016, 9:01 am

Dear Leyla, your monkey ist – as everything you show us – very charming. Thanks a lot!
    Toni from Germany

• Leyla Torres February 3, 2016, 10:31 am

Thank you Tony… this has been fun to make and share!

• Wilma Kinsey February 3, 2016, 8:58 am

This is a happy monkey who would thrill anyone who received it. A charming figure to give a friend…You have done it again, Leyla!

• Elsa Lucia Cabrera February 2, 2016, 11:09 pm

Leyla, excelente diseno. Te deseo mucho exito.

• Leyla Torres February 3, 2016, 10:30 am

Gracias Elsa… realmente fue divertido diseñar el monito!