Make Origami Elephants and Help Stop the Ivory Trade

Make Origami Elephants and Help Stop the Ivory Trade post image

Elephants need our help. Now! All ivory markets are a threat to the lives of elephants, and to stop the killing these markets must be shut down.

In an effort to raise awareness and achieve this goal, the Wildlife Conservation Society is attempting to break the Guinness World Record for the most origami elephants displayed.

Anyone who wants to participate in this effort is welcome. Folding as many origami elephants as you can will support this important cause and further the public education of the extreme danger that elephants face.

So, if you’d like to help out, I’m sharing here an origami elephant video of my own design. You may send as many of these elephants as you wish to the address listed below. Of course if you prefer to fold any other elephant model, in any color or size, that’s fine too!

The Wildlife Conservation Society goal is to reach 35,000 folded paper elephants, which is the same number of elephants killed each year.

Folded Origami Elephants should be sent to:

Wildlife Conservation Society
c/o Rachel Libretti
2300 Southern Boulevard
Bronx, NY 10460

(Please provide your name, address, email and quantity of origami elephants in your mailing so they can acknowledge and thank you.)

DEADLINE: SEPTEMBER 16, 2016

Tips and Suggestions to Make the Origami Elephant

• In the video the elephant is demonstrated using Kami paper.
  • To learn how to fold this origami elephant a 6 x 6 inch (15 × 15cm) piece of Kami paper is ideal.
  • Thicker paper such as “Tant” or regular office paper can make good choices too.
  • The finished elephant shows only one side of the paper. It is not necessary to use paper with a different color on each side.
  • Make many elephants! Your origami skills will improve with each elephant and you can be part of helping to break this Guinness World Record!
  • To make the family of elephants shown below, use pieces of paper in the following sizes: 9 x 9 inches (Papa Elephant); 7.5 x 7.5 (Mama Elephant); 4.24 x 4.25 (Baby Elephant)

origami-elephant-family560

• Gabriela G. September 6, 2016, 5:05 pm

I am sending my 60 elephants tomorrow!
    I know it is not much, but I hope it helps :):)

• Leyla Torres September 7, 2016, 3:52 pm

Gabriela, thank you! If every person who loves origami sent 60 elephants, the goal would be surpassed many fold.
      Thank you for your great contribution!

• Carla vdM September 6, 2016, 10:50 am

Hello Leyla,
    I just mailed out my folded Elephants to Rachel Libretti and I hope they will reach her soon.
    Thank you for bringing it up on your website.
    In 2014 a Zoo in England also wanted to set a world record with 30.000 origami Elephants and they reached it, so I keep my fingers crossed that Rachel will get 35.000 ones.

• Leyla Torres September 6, 2016, 1:37 pm

Great, Carla. It’s wonderful that you are participating in this challenge too. Thank you!

• Pat September 1, 2016, 8:29 pm

I am a fan of Jungle Book. About a month ago I went to see the newest Jungle Book movie. I highly recommend it. I am not a film critic. It is a very moving film.
    “Madness is the most disgraceful thing that can overtake a wild animal.” – Rudyard Kipling
    Wonderful Leyla!

• Leyla Torres September 1, 2016, 9:02 pm

Thank you Pat! II would like to see this film. Great quote!

• Emilia giichiamo September 1, 2016, 5:52 pm

Cara Leyla davvero bello questo elefante e molto utile il video. vorrei sapere se e dove dove si può trovare anche il diagramma.
    Grazie tante.
    A presto
    Emilia

• Leyla Torres September 1, 2016, 8:58 pm

Hi Emilia,
      I’m happy you like the elephant. I have not made diagrams for this model :-)

• Rosemary Browne September 1, 2016, 12:26 pm

A beautiful model, Leyla … taught with care and passion. Thank you, as always, for a superb tutorial! xox

• Leyla Torres September 1, 2016, 4:39 pm

You are welcome Rosemary. Thank you for your presence and your kind words!