Origami Northern Cardinal post image

This delightful and easy-to-make origami cardinal, designed by Román Díaz, makes for a lovely gift or  as a Christmas ornament.

Cardinals are non-migratory birds identified by a bright and distinctive red appearance. They are found from south-eastern Canada all the way south to Mexico and Northern Guatemala. In the northern latitudes. Cardinals are easily spotted during the winter on snowy branches, and they have long been associated with the Christmas season.

Here is a video with instructions on how to fold the Cardinal. Made with permission from Román Díaz.

If you can’t see the video on this page, click here to see it on YouTube.
Diagrams for this cardinal were published in The Paper, the magazine of Origami USA  (Issue 105 -Autumn 2010)

. . . . . . . . . .

If you like what you find here, click here to subscribe to this blog
and receive alerts for coming posts via e-mail –They are FREE!

• Jessica October 19, 2016, 3:53 am

I made one, it looks pretty good! I had a little trouble with the tail thinning step, but I figured it out and now my mom has the first little bird that will be on our Christmas tree this year!

• shermaine July 1, 2014, 10:09 am

i really like the cardinal but being not able to fold it is quite disappointing since i wanted to fold it for my school’s YED (youth environmental day) charity sale this year. but not a bad design, if you ask me… B-E-A-utiful !

• Leyla Torres July 1, 2014, 1:19 pm

Sorry about your not being able to finish the cardenal. Congratulations for trying it anyway. I understand your disappointment. Sometimes we need to grow our skills before we are able to make certain origami figures. You might want to try your hand at folding some easier models.

But do go back to this bird and try again in the future. Our minds are elastic and work in mysterious ways. When we try more than once, relax into the process, take it slowly, we are rewarded with a successful ending. Give yourself some time.

• shermaine July 1, 2014, 10:04 am

cant follow 2:53 timing step, too difficult, can you help?

• Allison November 3, 2013, 1:43 am

The instructions were very hard to follow. It was hard to see what you were supposed to do. Once I reached the more intricate folds I became very confused, and was not able to complete the project.

• Leyla Torres November 3, 2013, 10:35 am

Hi Anny,
      I congratulate you for having tried it! Sorry about your difficulties. This was one of my earlier videos, so perhaps was not done at a pace you can easily follow.
      I invite you to fold some other simpler origami and come back to the cardinal later. Our minds always stretch with practice and like to take on challenges and solve puzzles.
      Origami teaches patience also, and if you can come back to it with a calm mind, you will get further along. Thank you for sharing about your experience.

• laurence January 3, 2013, 3:29 pm

i tried for hours, but i never managed to succeed. past the point of the “foot” at wich point i was always missing a triangle, no matter how many times i re-did it, or watched the video. extremely dissapointing.

• Leyla Torres January 3, 2013, 4:50 pm

I’m sorry about your disappointment Laurence, and totally understand how you feel at not being able to finish the origami cardinal. Not being able to finish a figure at our first or second attempt is quite normal. But at least you tried. Congratulations!

I suggest you put the cardinal away and come back to it in a few days, weeks or months if necessary. In the mean time, work on other simpler origami figures. Our brains have ways to stretch and solve puzzles in an unconscious way. Be patient, don’t give up!

DO come back to the cardinal. I’ll bet you will be able to make it in the future!

Thank you for your visit and sharing your feelings about your folding experience.

• lloyd llaneta August 9, 2012, 3:15 am

its great but i cant watch it continously because of my bad internet

• Rao June 10, 2012, 8:25 am

I wouldn’t. Scrapbooking paper is eipxnseve because it is acid free. Don’t know why that is more eipxnseve to make than ordinary paper, but hey. Since your origami doesn’t need to be acid free, you can use cheap paper.

• Magali December 31, 2011, 8:54 am

THANK YOU, Leyla and Roman!!! this design is so delightful…many thanks for sharing!

• Rosemary December 23, 2011, 10:45 am

Beautiful little creature! Thank you Leyla and all the very best wishes for the New Year and always.

Rosemary

• Knight December 21, 2011, 12:41 am

p.s. – I didn’t have 10 x 10 paper, so I used 8 x 8 and that worked very well. thank you again :)

• Leyla Torres December 21, 2011, 12:05 pm

I’m glad you were able to fold it. I used the 10×10 paper in the video to facilitate explaining it in a larger size, but I have made them with paper 3×3 inches as well!

• Knight December 21, 2011, 12:32 am

Your instructions are excellent. I just made a cardinal for a friend and it turned out pretty good! thank you and Merry Christmas!

• Aida Urrutia Uribe December 20, 2011, 6:28 pm

Hermoso.! gracias por compartirlo.
    Aida Urrutia Uribe

• Leyla Torres December 21, 2011, 12:07 pm

Es un placer compartirlo. Gracias a Román también que lo permitió.

• Ryynette December 20, 2011, 6:21 pm

Very realistic! I’ll see if I have time to make it someday.

• Leyla Torres December 21, 2011, 12:06 pm

I hope you have the chance to fold it. It has a very satisfying folding sequence!