How to Fold an Egg-laying Origami Hen

How to Fold an Egg-laying Origami Hen post image

This egg-laying origami hen (atributed to Zsuzsanna Kricskovics) is a charming origami action model. It needs a cut at the end, which might be frowned on by some origami purists.

Diagrams for an origami egg-laying hen - Gallina PonedoraThis cut does not bother me at all. On the contrary, I think it is indispensable because the section that is cut off is used to fold the egg. After all, doesn’t an egg separate from its hen?

In origami terms, this hen’s egg consists of a tiny preliminary base, exactly like the one initially used  to fold the hen. This egg could conceivable be used to fold another tiny hen, and another tiny egg, and… so on forever.

I think this model comes from masterful hands. It is a fun action model, and a perfect metaphor of the endless egg-hen-egg cycle. If you fold eggs from golden paper then you will have the hen of the ‘golden eggs’.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

“The hen is only the egg’s way of making another egg.Samuel Buttler

• David Raynor June 3, 2011, 9:12 am

I love the way that (if you put the egg in properly) it will even work upside-down because the egg is pushed out.
    We should tell NASA, so they can send the first origami-astronaut to the International Space Station to make this model lay eggs in weightless conditions!

• Leyla Torres June 3, 2011, 11:14 am

I have a good friend who does consulting work for NASA, I will pass the idea to him :)

• Daniel Hall April 18, 2011, 4:57 pm

This is really great! I made it and my girlfriend loved it, she loves chickens a lot! :)

• Maria Eugenia Sandin April 9, 2011, 1:08 pm

Esta gallina es genial! Conocí este plegado de la mano de Gabi Orso en la Convencion de Rosario, Argentina. En plena cena comenzo a hacer su “actuacion”, cacareando mientras tiraba de la cola de la gallina, hasta que salió el huevo. Inolvidable!!

• Leyla Torres April 9, 2011, 1:47 pm

Este es uno de mis modelos de movimiento que más me gusta. Me parece brillante y la reacción de la gente cuando uno lo muestra, ni hablar, la gallinita ponedora es una total rompehielos!

• Amy April 6, 2011, 7:55 pm

What a cute model!

• Leyla Torres April 6, 2011, 7:59 pm

This is one of my favorite action models. I love seeing the egg coming out of the hen. When I show it in action, I get great reactions from people. Try it !