Christmas Greetings -A Stop Motion Origami Animation

A Christmas and holiday greeting to you, your families, friends, and loved ones.

Today is the winter solstice in the Northern Hemisphere!

From one of my south-facing windows, I can see the sun following its lowest and shortest arc across the sky. The good news is that for the next six months, the days will grow longer again here in the north as the sun spends more and more time above the horizon.

To welcome and celebrate the return of light to the north, I’m sharing here with you a one-minute stop-motion animation. It was great fun making it. Enjoy!

The characters in the video:

• Nine pine-tree origami boxes (Hildegars Schächtele) designed by Carmen Sprung.
  • A Santa Claus origami box (Scatola Babbo Natale) designed by Francesco Mancini.
  • Shining Alice, a star designed by Michael Shall.

origami-santa-and-tree

Would you like to make these fun origami boxes?
Click on the following links for free diagrams (courtesy of the designers).

Carmen’s Hildegars Schächtele

Francesco’s Scatola Babbo Natale

origami-star

Diagrams for the star are found in The Best of Annual Collections (OUSA publication).

Wishing you a lovely Christmas and a New Year full of health, creativity and  peace!

leyla-greetings-2013

Leyla Torres

John, my husband, took this photo while I was working on the stop-motion video ;-)

. . . . . . . . . .

If you like what you find here on Origami Spirit, click here to donate.
We appreciate your support, which helps us bringing you the best content!

• Ria Denneman January 1, 2014, 2:40 pm

Best wishes to you from the Netherlands. Thanks for all the wonderful diagrams!

• marta December 25, 2013, 12:49 pm

Gracias por compartir su arte,me siento subyugada intentando plegar papel,,algo he conseguido,aunque un poco chueco se entiende…gracias…

• Mark Brafield December 23, 2013, 1:03 pm

Dear Leyla

I must thank you for your exquisite Christmas designs this year; we have snowflakes hanging in our conservatory, dove lanterns in our sitting room and I shall enjoy making these wonderful pieces this evening. All of your designs, as always, are a delight and your website brings so much joy.

Please accept my best wishes for a very Happy Christmas and a peaceful New Year.

With kind regards
    Mark Brafield

• Leyla Torres December 23, 2013, 1:09 pm

Thank you Mark, for your warm words. It always makes me happy to know that people enjoy what I share in Origami Spirit.

• Edna December 23, 2013, 4:25 am

Leyla, beautiful video, thanks for sharing both origami, they are sweet. Merry Christmas to you and your family. And everyone in the origami communities around the world. The origami world is beautiful.

• Gyorfi-Deak Gyorgy December 23, 2013, 1:19 am

Thank You for all and Merry-Merry XMas!
    ¡Feliz Navidad!

• Nora Isabel Nardacchione. December 22, 2013, 11:17 pm

Leyla Torres me gustan tus cajitas del video, y que tengas unas felices fiestas en compania de tus seres queridos. Nora Nardacchione desde Argentina.

• Karen December 22, 2013, 6:08 pm

I love everything about you, origami, and this video!
    Merry Christmas!!!

• Sarah Helene December 22, 2013, 5:15 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE this short ORIGAMI video . . . Several years ago I was “into” crafting origami, bought 4 books & several packets of papers.You just gave me some inspiration to renew that creative urge . . . THANKS. After the holidays I’ll get my supplies out of storage. HAPPY HOLIDAYS to you & yours! Sarah, Minneapolis

• Michael December 22, 2013, 8:36 am

A Happy and a Holy Christmas to you and all your family, Leyla, and may your good work continue through 2014

• Leyla Torres December 23, 2013, 8:53 am

Thank you Michael. Doing this work brings me a lot of pleasure. I’ll do my best to keep it up!

• pam harris December 22, 2013, 2:33 am

Your Winter holiday video is a delight and brought joy and a light heart after a very long day. Thank you! I look forward to learning from you in the new year!

• Trini December 21, 2013, 9:31 pm

Feliz Navidad para ti y toda tu familia ( el gato incluido ) y que el 2014 sea muy feliz.

• Elly van Zundert December 21, 2013, 4:50 pm

Hi Leyla;
    ♥ your video;
    wishing You, John and all your loved ones a merry Christmas too
    and all the best for 2014..
    & Thank you for all the inspiration you gave us this year!

• Sue December 21, 2013, 3:34 pm

Hi Leyla,
    Thank you so much for your generous postings! Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas and wonderful 2014!
    With many best wishes,
    Sue

• Helena December 21, 2013, 1:28 pm

Thanks Leyla!
    Lovely Idea!
    Have a Nice Christmas too!

• Louis Nistal December 21, 2013, 12:39 pm

Merry Christmas to you and your family (including the cat!)

Now I see how you make those videos. You put the camera on your shoulder, Clever

• Leyla Torres December 21, 2013, 1:38 pm

Hi Louis… if you look in detail at the photo, you will notice that the camera is actually on a metallic arm which is held by a tripod. The tripod is not visible on this photo. The camera looks like it is on my shoulder because the angle from which the photo was taken.

• martinev59 December 21, 2013, 11:07 am

Merry christmas to you and thank you for the tutos.
    Joyeux noel….

• Rosemary Browne December 21, 2013, 10:00 am

Merry Christmas Leyla, John, and Coco:

Last year at this time Leyla, you wished me a New Year full of wonderful models. As I so often say to students and friends: “Our origami world just gets better and better with each passing day.” So yes, your wish to me was completely fulfilled.
    It is because of the dedication to this art form that you as well as so many others give, that makes our origami world so very beautiful. As you Leyla, give in the true sense of an origami spirit.

Best to you always,

Rosemary

• Leyla Torres December 21, 2013, 10:08 am

Thank you Rosemary. One of the positive aspects of practicing origami is that it helps us go through the downs and ups of daily life. Just a humble practice can be such a cheerful company.
      Thank you for your continued support and warm words. The paper stars you’ve sent me are hanging on my staircase together with many others of my collection. I love them.
      My best wishes to you too!

Leyla