A model design of Francis Ow
Do you like to fold origami hearts? You’re in luck! Here at Origami Spirit, we feature origami models we know you’ll enjoy so be sure to visit the ORIGAMI HEARTS GALLERY
During the month of April, Origami Spirit joins the global celebration of World Book Day. The event is also known as World Book and Copyright Day, or, International Day of the Book.
The original idea was conceived in 1922 by Vicente Clavel, director of Cervantes’s Barcelona publishing house, to honor author Miguel de Cervantes, and boost book sales. The event was first celebrated on October 7, 1926, on Cervantes’s birthday. After Cervantes died, the date was moved to April 23.
April 23 is a significant date in the literary world and marks the death of prominent authors William Shakespeare, Miguel de Cervantes, and Inca Garcilaso de la Vega, In a campaign to encourage reading and universal access to books, UNESCO picked April 23 as the day to honor authors and their books during a general conference meeting, in Paris, in 1965.
Would you like to learn how to fold this model?
The tutorial is found inside Origamigos, our sister site for members.
… and learn to fold The Book of Love and many other models too!
Already a member? LOG IN >>> HERE
Tips and suggestions for making the Book of Love (Single Square)
- Any thin and crisp paper is ideal to use for this book. In the video, the model is demonstrated using kami paper.
- Use a piece of paper (solid color) that’s at least 8 x 8 inches (20 x 20 cm.) when you make this model for the first time.
- The finished Book of Love shows both sides of the paper, one color for the heart and the other for the book pages. It is best to use paper with a different color on each side.
Origami terms to note:
- Precrease: Marking the paper by folding and unfolding it. When we pre-crease, we are setting the stage for later steps in the folding process. Precreases are usually made when we begin a set of folds.
- Reverse a fold: to turn a fold from a valley into a mountain or the other way around, a mountain into a valley.
- Squash fold: This is when we open or separate two layers of paper, then press and flatten the paper to make the fold.
This is a selection of other origami tutorials you will find within Origamigos