Do you enjoy origami hearts? What would you write on the pages of this origami Book of Love? A poem? A sketch of some flowers? A reason why you love books? Whatever you might leave on those pages, we can celebrate World Book Day with this easy-to-make origami book. Free Tutorial below.
World Book and Copyright Day, or, International Day of the Book, is an annual event that originated in 1922. It is the creation of Vicente Clavel, director of Cervantes’s Barcelona publishing house. The event was conceived as a way to celebrate author Miguel de Cervantes and boost book sales. The first celebration took place on October 7, 1926, which is Cervantes’ birthday. The date was changed to April 23, after Cervantes’ death.
April 23 is a significant date in the literary world and marks the death of prominent authors William Shakespeare, Miguel de Cervantes, and Inca Garcilaso de la Vega. In a campaign to encourage reading and universal access to books, UNESCO picked April 23 as the day to honor authors and their books during a general conference meeting, in Paris, in 1965.
This origami heart model is the creation of Francis Ow, an origami master known for his excellent work on modular origami, and for his innumerable paper heart designs.
At its very center, the heart model features a double-sided pocket which is a perfect place to add the pages of a book. On his Flickr page, Francis Ow shared many other possible inserts than can be added to this heart besides these book pages
The following step-by-step video shows both how to make Francis Ow’s heart including the book insert.
Tips and suggestions for making the origami Book of Love
- In the video, the heart is demonstrated using thin Kami paper, known in the U.S. as “origami paper”.
- Other papers –gift wrapping or paper from old magazines are also suitable.
- Both the HEART and the PAGES are made with a rectangular piece of paper in the proportion of 2:1
- Cut a square piece of paper 6 x 6 inches (15 x 15 cm) in half to obtain two of the desired rectangles.
The Book of Love is an origami model created by Francis Ow. He actually developed TWO VERSIONS:
- A Book of Love, made with two rectangular pieces of paper is presented above. The final model features 12 blank pages.
- A Book of Love, made with a single square of paper and featuring 8 blank pages. The tutorial is available is presented on ORIGAMIGOS, our sister website for members.
. . . . . . . . . . .
Origami Spirit has been sharing origami tutorials online since 2010. Do you enjoy what you find here?
Please consider supporting us with a contribution or as a member.
More information >>> HERE.