Origami Hugs and Kisses for Mom!

by Leyla Torres on April 27, 2012

in -Celebrations & Holiday, -Fun/Practical Ideas, -Modular, -Video Instructions, • How to & Techiques

hugs and kisses garland

Are you a mother? I am sending you many hugs and kisses to honor and celebrate your motherhood. I also invite you to  make a long garland of origami hugs and kisses and bring it to your own mom for mother’s day. Both the cross and the double ring modules are inspired by a Palm Sunday cross featured on this site as well.

And when father’s day comes along we can give him many hugs and kisses as well!
My father and mother are the shiniest stars of my Universe.  I adore them both!

The hugs and kisses garland is festive and easy to make. Watch this short video and learn just how simple it is.

Origami Hugs and Kisses for Mom!

Feel free to share this video and pass it along!

The double ring module is a creation of Karen Reeds (US). As I connected the cross module to Karen’s double ring my husband said “Oh, hugs and kisses!” so the hugs-and-kisses garland was born!

Materials Needed to Make the  Hugs-and-Kisses Garland

Strips of colorful paper 11 x .25 inches. The garlands shown here were made with office paper.

Chain of modular rings and crosses This Hugs and Kisses Garland can be considered  Modular Origami: two or more pieces of paper are folded into units, which are then fitted together to form one piece.

——————
If you like what you find here, click here to subscribe to this blog
and receive coming posts via e-mail.

XXOO

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Ryynette April 27, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Very creative! This would also make a very nice Christmas decoraton!

Leyla Torres April 27, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Yes Ryynette, the theme is universal, and we could use it for any festive occasion, such as birthdays, weddings, anniversaries…. when our heart is in the mood of celebrating!

Karen Reeds April 27, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Dear Leyla 4/27/2012
This is absolutely marvelous! My deep thanks to you and your husband for taking
my little doodle, the Double-Ring module, combining it with your lovely Cross module, and turning them into this wonderful Hugs and Kisses Chain!
Hugs and Kisses to you both, and your parents, too!

Karen
Karen Reeds, Princeton Public Library (NJ) Origami Group http://princetonlibrary.org/children/BookClubsandGroups.htm

Leyla Torres April 27, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Hi Karen,
Making this chain and this post has been much fun! We do sit at the kitchen table here and laugh and get ideas. Playful Spirit and Origami Spirit are one!
Thank you for sharing your module with all of us!
XXOO

Leyla

Laura Kruskal April 30, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Dear Leyla,

I’m delighted that you have linked up with Karen Reeds, a prolific creator of simple, elegant, useful models and are sharing this charming, timely, attractive model.

Laura Kruskal

Leyla Torres April 30, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Thank you Laura. This is a literal link up with Karen… since the model we made is a chain :-)

Linda May 2, 2012 at 10:43 am

Wonderful Idea! I am going to have my Sunday School kids make these for their Mom’s.

Leyla Torres May 2, 2012 at 11:08 am

Thank you Linda, I will tweet your idea of having Sunday School kids make these for their Mom’s!

Karen May 2, 2012 at 11:24 am

Linda
I’m very glad you’ll do Hugs-and-Kisses with kids, but I want to urge you to practice beforehand and experiment with longer/wider strips.

Many kids under 9 or so don’t have the finger dexterity or strength to make folds precisely and might get really frustrated trying to get a neatly folded model.

It’s also tricky to keep track of the front/back of the strips and model, especially if (like me), you are not very good at left and right!

I’ll be teaching this at the Princeton Public Library Origami Group next week, and I’m really just passing along the very good advice of Laura Kruskal, the most experienced origami teacher I know.
Karen (the Hugs part)

Linda May 2, 2012 at 11:44 am

Will do! I teach 5th – 7th grade kids. I will practice practice practice before the class so that I have all the steps down. Thank you so much!

Karen May 21, 2012 at 9:14 pm

So, how did it go, Linda? We had a much larger and younger crowd than usual when I tried to teach this, and I had to give up! I had practiced, but not well enough to figure out how to keep track of up/down/left/right/front/back. Because we had lots of strips ready, I switched in midstream to David Shall’s Ring — one of my favorite models. That went well. One family told me later that they rolled up birthday party invitations and used the Ring to hold and decorate the rolls. (For David Shall’s models and book, see http://www.papercopia.com/)
Karen 5-21-2012

fabiola March 15, 2013 at 3:23 pm

que maravillaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

muchisimas gracias por compartir…..

Janet March 20, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Thank you Leyla for this wonderful tutorial. I’ve made some. Here is the link: http://eastleighnet.com/2013/03/20/international-day-of-happiness/

All the best to you.

Leyla Torres March 21, 2013 at 9:11 am

Hi Janet,

I myself wondered about the need for an “International Day of Happiness” but then I thought why not! Let’s think what it is to be happy and why is it important to be aware of happiness.

What makes me happy is the connection with people that origami brings. The garland you made is a good choice to represent a sense of connection. And I love the paper you chose! -couldn’t figure out how sign up and leave a comment on your site.