Cute and Fun Origami Pins

During the  informal Origami Pin Exchange at this year’s OrigamiUSA convention I folded a number of bees (instructions here) and made pins from them. The photo above shows pins I received in exchange.  Cute and Fun!

Many origami models are easily made into pins.  All we need to do is glue a little pin on the back of the model and it’s ready to wear on a lapel or in our hair.

Here are samples of pins that can be attached.

If you could keep just one of the pins I received, which would you pick? Among those who leave a reply in the comments section I will be raffling one of my origami bee pins.

Deadline: Tuesday July 17, 2012 6pm EST (6pm NYC time)

——————–

Update July 18: Here are the three winners of the bee pin!

Congratulations and thank you for your comments!

Comments on this entry are closed.

• Kathy Knapp July 17, 2012, 6:30 pm

They are all wonderful, but today the strawberry calls out, as in my class today I taught Rea Crocker’s Strawberry. Several even folded from the 3″ strawberry paper.

• David Raynor July 17, 2012, 6:29 pm

I think I am probably just too late…. but I would choose the Origami USA sailboat, as it would make a good talking point “Oh, do you know people in the USA who do origami?” and such-like. besides, it is a fun model anyway.

• Flora July 17, 2012, 1:54 pm

I love the little cat pin!

• Francesco July 17, 2012, 1:20 pm

They’re all cute, it’s hard to decide. Maybe I’ll stay on classics and I choose the Kawasaki rose. Thanks for sharing

Ciao
    Francesco

• Julie Ross July 17, 2012, 12:07 pm

A hard decision to just pick one. I like the Origami USA sailboat pin

• Anastasia July 17, 2012, 3:15 am

The Strawberry, LOVE strawberries and I cannot eat them any more due to health problems. I used to crave them like crazy when I was pregnant. So the strawberry it is.

• Tamara July 15, 2012, 4:56 pm

Wow what a hard decision! As one person commented, the longer you look, the more you see! I guess, though, as I am a “cat woman”, I’d choose the little blue cat. So adorable! I used to do a nice bit of origami years and years ago and have been wanting to take it back up again. I just have to work with my hands all the time. Can’t just sit without keeping them busy :) Origami would be a nice diversion to add to my crochet and puzzles.

• Scott Cramer July 14, 2012, 3:26 pm

Thanks to a resourceful friend, the blue star has been identified as Duo Star by Jeff Beynon. The diagrams are in BOS #38, Four-igami. It has a very satisfying folding sequence, after the precreasing is done.

• Shery July 14, 2012, 2:16 pm

Thank you so much for sharing these. Wish I could have shared in the trading. They are all so clever, it is hard to pick one. But I will say the blue star and the 8 petal flower – eventhough I would wear them all.

• Lynn Catnes July 13, 2012, 3:14 pm

All of your work is wonderful. I follow your blog and also saw your exhibit at Origami USA convention! Yes, I would love to win the bee pin!

• Sarrah July 13, 2012, 2:34 pm

Its the scottie dog for me :)

• Jane Millikan July 12, 2012, 6:20 pm

I once had the diagrams for the singing fish, or whatever you call it. Now I can’t track them down anywhere. So that is what I would keep. If you know where to find it, let me know.

• Mari July 12, 2012, 2:59 pm

All the pins are lovely. It is difficult to make a choice. Since I love flowers, my choice would be the rose or the flower with leaf.

The selection of pin backs are great.

Thank you for sharing.

• Louise July 12, 2012, 10:43 am

The navy blue fan is a classic – simply beautiful.

Louise in Northern California

• Grace Marton July 12, 2012, 1:00 am

All of the pins are gorgeous! My favorite appears to be a modular design. It’s the blue and white pin in the 1st row, second from the left.

• Scott Cramer July 12, 2012, 2:45 pm

Thanks for the nice comments! The blue and white star is folded from one piece of 3″ duo paper. I really like how the color from the back comes around to the front. I don’t know whose model it is, I reverse engineered it from one that I folded many years ago. If anybody does know who created it, I’d love to know.

• aida urrutia July 11, 2012, 9:54 pm

Hola Leyla.. novedosos y útiles me parecen estos hermosos pins… He seguido la sugerencia y los he ingresado a Facebook.
    Un abrazo
    Aída

• yvonne July 11, 2012, 6:36 pm

I love the little fish on the bottom; makes me cool just looking at it. Your bee makes me think of HONEY

• Donna July 11, 2012, 10:46 pm

I love the little blue cat! More even than the variety of pins, I love the diversity of opinions about them. Some of the comments made me look more closely and enjoy some I passed by at first glance.

Your website always makes my day better!

Donna

• Dawn Tucker July 11, 2012, 6:17 pm

These are wonderful! Color me green with envy! Thanks so much for sharing instructions for the bee! My second favorite is the blue one, first row, second pin. I like so many, it’s really hard to choose! I’m picking that one, not only because I really like it, but also because I don’t know how to make it myself. Several of the others, also wonderful, are models I’ve made or have instructions to make.
    I hope some folks attending CenterFold this year will want to exchange pins!

• Marie July 11, 2012, 5:07 pm

My favorite pin is your bee, besides that, I would chose the purple and white angel fish to keep. I have enjoyed folding it in the past.
    Really like your origami spirit website~thank you! Looking forward to trying to fold the bee diagram soon.

• Jo July 11, 2012, 4:32 pm

Wow, what a great collection. I’m fond of the flower pins, especially the dogwood one and rose one. I suspect I would pick the rose one because that is my middle name. ;-) Thanks so much for sharing and giving us a good idea…making pins.

• Renee Schaeren July 11, 2012, 4:25 pm

Hi,
    Aren’t they gorgeous! I’ve always loved “mini origami”. I’ve seen exquisite origami jewellery here in Brisbane, earrings pendants, very fiddly.
    I like the strawberry as it is strawberry season, here. As to a favourite…. too hard to choose.

• Paulina July 11, 2012, 2:59 pm

They are all so cute! I like the bee!

• Ellen July 11, 2012, 1:28 pm

I love the bee– wanted to learn it at the convention and now I just hoping I will be lucky enough to win it! Your blog is a breath of fresh air! Thank you!

• Peggy July 11, 2012, 12:58 pm

The flower with leaf in the third row appeals to me. It looks like it wouldn’t be hard to learn. Please teach it to us dear Leyla. Your videos are wonderful. Thank you for teaching the box…it is great fun to make and use.

• Sara July 11, 2012, 12:54 pm

It’s hard to pick a favorite from all these wonderful pins! The longer I look at the photo, the more favorites I find. :)
    If I could just keep one, perhaps it’d be the strawberry. And I’d fold your wonderful bee following your instructions. I think they make a great pair.

• Tanja Pott July 11, 2012, 12:40 pm

The bee! I would keep the bee, really Leyla. Beautiful Apis Mellifera

• Nancy July 11, 2012, 12:19 pm

The little pink and green one is my favorite. It’s the first one in the 3rd row. I’d love to learn to make it.

• kathy July 11, 2012, 11:26 am

I missed your deadline, but my choice is the bee…so I’m happy that you’re sharing the instructions. And your timing is perfect for me as I’m going to ask our local beekeepers to help me set up tables after their meeting tonight at our local library for tomorrow’s summer reading program origami workshop. Your little bees will be a great thank-you for the beekeepers. Thank you for sharing your discoveries!

(I couldn’t get to your instructions by clicking on your link under the pin photo – I get a “page not found” message. I clicked on “insects” in the column to the right and found it that way)

• Leyla Torres July 11, 2012, 11:45 am

No Kathy, you did not miss the deadline… I had written the incorrect date! Thank you for mentioning it. Now it is fixed. Also the link for the instructions has been fixed.
      Have fun at the summer reading program origami workshop!

• Annemieke July 11, 2012, 9:18 am

I know the pin-exchanging from origamiweekends in the Netherlands. It is always amazing to see how many different pins people can think of.

• Marisa Filion July 11, 2012, 8:33 am

I suggest your website to all my origami friends as a must in their favorites!
    Have a nice day and continue to inspire us,
    Marisa

• Sim July 11, 2012, 7:03 am

I liked the rose and the fan until I saw the Angelfish!

Although I can’t work out what the black one next to it is supposed to be… appears too dark on my screen to make out any detail.

• Leyla Torres July 11, 2012, 9:51 am

Hi Sim, the black pin is a little dog. It’s hard to photograph well to be easy to identify.

• Sim July 11, 2012, 10:10 am

Ahh!
        Like a little black scottie dog!
        Thankyou for sharing these… they are beautiful and diverse examples of the awesomeness of origami!