I remember my mother’s hands as she placed a bowl full of popcorn on the living room table during a rainy Sunday afternoon. My sister, brothers and I would dive in it as we watched Disney specials on television. The aroma of home-made popcorn was always so irresistible!
Just recently I discovered how easy it is to make low-fat popcorn in the microwave using a brown paper bag. My only hesitation about this method was sealing the bag with a metal staple.
So, I devised a simple way to seal the bag that keeps the kernels inside while allowing steam to escape as the popcorn pops. Origami folding techniques can come in handy, even in the kitchen!
In this three-minute video, I share the folding instructions for the bag as well as how to make the popcorn in the microwave.
- 1/4 cup cup popcorn kernel (yields about 4 cups of popcorn)
- A few drops of vegetable oil
- salt to taste
- In a cup mix the popcorn and oil.
- Pour the oil-coated corn into a brown bag (5 x 11 inches).
- Fold the top of the bag as explained in the video above.
- Cook in the microwave for about 80 seconds.
- Take the bag out of the oven, serve the corn in a bowl.
- Sprinkle with some salt.
Now make your way to that favorite sofa with someone special, watch a movie, and enjoy your home-made popcorn!
What memories the aroma of freshly popped corn bring to your heart? Feel free to leave your comments here.