Origami Hollow-Petal Flower

Origami Hollow-Petal Flower post image

In my previous blog, La Trenza, I featured this hollow-petal flower of my own creation (No used for a Guinnes record attempt). This model is relatively easy to fold from the windmill base, –also known as Froebel’s basic form, and makes a nice Christmas ornament, or it can also be used as a dish for a festive occasion.

The model in the photograph is folded from onion-skin paper which I colored with oil pastel then blended with just a drop of mineral spirits on a cotton ball. Here is a video demonstrating how to fold this model*.

When first attempting to fold the flower I suggest choosing a flexible crepe-like paper like that seen in the video. The last step in the process -an outside-reverse fold* on either side of the petal, is a little tricky and could tear the paper. Exercise patience, remain calm, breathe, and you will succeed. Also, experiment with various papers as each hears the whispering of our hands in a different way.

These are  back and side views.

Have you folded this flower? Share with us what paper you used!

*UPDATE March 2015: The video posted here is a newer version of the previous video tutorial for this flower. It’s easier to follow!

. . . . . . . . . .

If you like what you find here on Origami Spirit, click here to donate.
We appreciate your support, which helps us bring you the best content!

• munidasa September 7, 2015, 11:11 am

i remember folding papers and making a aeroplane,four pocket basket and a crane when we were kids.may be it had come from Japanese.they were here (in sri lanka)during 2nd world war.and my father has worked with them.now i know it is origami.
    thank you for giving us the opportunity to discover our hidden talents. i would continue with your lessons. i am 64 now .don’t know for how long!!!
    thank you so much it is ideal to break you feel bored.and be happy with your own efforts.these things make ones life filled with harmony as it won’t be a harassment to another.
    thank you!!!!!!

• Leyla Torres September 8, 2015, 12:05 pm

Hi Munidasa. I’m happy you like what you find here. Welcome to Origami SPirit.

• ¡¡¡Bobo!!! June 18, 2013, 11:45 pm

Es genial esta pagina

• zufa June 9, 2013, 2:17 am

hi,i like to make it but the vidio is filter!
    can you make a script of that please

• Sharon April 29, 2013, 5:57 pm

I used smooth 9″ x 9″ Origami paper which was slick on one side, dull on the other, and found that by wrinkling and smoothing it out 4 or 5 times, it became very soft and flexible, not to mention the finished effect is quite beautiful and gives a natural look to the blossom.

• Leyla Torres April 29, 2013, 6:59 pm

Thank you Sharon. Sounds like a good idea. I’ll have to try myself!

• Candice Manning April 1, 2013, 10:24 am

If you dont mind, what size paper were you using to make the hollow-petal flower? Thanks

Candice Manning

• Leyla Torres April 1, 2013, 11:11 am

I used a 6 x 6 inch (15 x 15cm) of some kind of “crepe” paper

• Avni May 20, 2012, 12:59 pm

Hey, video is unavailable!! please please provide it.. i want to learn this flower!!

• Leyla Torres May 20, 2012, 2:40 pm

Hi Avni, the direct link to the video is http://youtu.be/HwS1740bKg8
      Let me know if it doesn’t work.

Also, you might want to update your browser. As I test here, the video appears to be available.

Thank you for writing.

• imawesome February 16, 2011, 9:54 pm

i love this! i just discovered origami and found im pretty good at it! im still learning and love it!

• Leyla Torres March 21, 2011, 1:47 pm

Great! Keep at folding paper. Practice makes the master!