How to Organize Unruly Desktop Nicknacks… in Style! post image

I thought of many uses for Ms. Ayako Kawate’s origami accordion box when I first saw it. At the very top of my list was the possibility of organizing paperclips, pushpins, rubber bands, and other nicknacks that always clutter my desk.

The box is made with as many modular containers as desired and is easy to fold and assemble.

Watch this video to learn how to make the origami accordion box.

In addition to being a pharmacist, Ms. Kawate is a gifted and prolific designer of other elegant and functional models. She is a member of the Nippon Origami Association and the author of “Origami creator Ⅰ” of NOA Book series.

Diagrams for the accordion box are published in NOA Magazine No.385 2007.9. Subscriptions to NOA Magazine and other origami publications may be obtained through the NOA website.

A wheel may be formed by joining together twenty or more accordion box modules. Have fun rolling this around, especially if there is a cat in the house!

What other objects can we make with these modular units?

• luciacara February 29, 2012, 11:31 am

Ingenious-looking container – thanks for posting !

• Cherri February 29, 2012, 12:15 pm

Great model…..the YouTube was very easy to follow. Thanks! I appreciate your efforts and artistry!

• Rosemary February 29, 2012, 12:16 pm

It just gets better and better! Thank you, as always Leyla, for a most wonderful video showing the ingenuity of Ms. Kawayte.

• Leyla Torres February 29, 2012, 12:29 pm

Luciacara, Charri, Rosemari, I thank you for your comments!

• Hans-Werner Guth February 29, 2012, 2:49 pm

… completed my first three modules … thanks for the video!

• Hans-Werner Guth February 29, 2012, 5:23 pm

Finished … https://plus.google.com/u/0/109625049059114792477/posts/U2RHeAMjSfa
    Great module! Great design! Great video! Thanks!

• Leyla Torres March 1, 2012, 9:47 am

Thank you for the link Hans. Your accordion and wheel look fabulous. I love that paper you use. I’d love to get some… where do you buy it in Germany?

• Hans-Werner Guth March 2, 2012, 11:17 am

… another brand ist ‘folia’ they have good duo color wrapping paper …

• mayah September 14, 2013, 8:59 am

Hi do you do classes cause i’m a very young girl interested in origami since 3rd grade but now i’m in sixth

• Leyla Torres September 14, 2013, 9:13 am

Hi Mayah,

Yes I teach origami. I have many youtube video tutorials for beginners. I am sure you will be able to follow them and learn.
          Here is a link to the list of all the videos you can use to learn. http://www.origamispirit.com/videos/

• GRA62 February 29, 2012, 5:49 pm

¡Què hermoso el acordeón origami! Me gusta la idea de hacer uno para mi mesa que comparto con mi hija, que estudia. Vivo en la Argentina, y necesito saber, què papel se usa para este trabajo. Estoy maravillada. Espero su respuesta. Gracias.-

• Leyla Torres February 29, 2012, 6:10 pm

Ojalá les quede bien bonito! Cuando lo tengas hecho nos envías un enlace para verlo.

• GRA62 March 1, 2012, 1:11 am

Hello! with translating all cut out. Need to know what paper is used for this work. OK?

• Leyla Torres March 1, 2012, 9:44 am

El papel de la cajita lo adquirí del sitio web de Creased Magazine: http://creased.com/shopping.html
      El de la rueda es de Colombia, pero también se puede comprar a través de Creased Magazine.

• Ana Carolina February 29, 2012, 7:36 pm

Great model, Leyla! Thank you for the video!

• Dawn Tucker March 1, 2012, 12:43 am

As usual, I really like this. You have a great eye for picking the best models!

• GRA62 March 1, 2012, 2:43 pm

¡Hola Leyla ! gracias por contestarme sobre el papel. No se còmo explicarte que al traducir del inglès al español, sale medio cortado, como hablaban los indios americanos en las pelìculas. No se porqué sale así. ¿Me entendiste? Ojalá que sí.- Un abrazo, Graciela.-

• luciacara March 3, 2012, 11:21 am

Where do you get miniature clothes pins? The only ones I have found are the wooden “decorative” ones at Michael’s and they are a bit wobbly.

• Ryynette March 9, 2012, 5:02 pm

I think you can get some for cheap at dollar stores, such as Dollarama. I got some cute wooden butterfly-decorated clothes pins there last year.

• luciacara March 14, 2012, 5:55 am

Thanks, Ryynette! I will check those stores.

I finally made the Accordian Box…thanks, Leyla – it is really a great model!

• Leyla Torres March 20, 2012, 4:29 pm

I usually find miniature clothespins in a store specializing in wooden products in Manchester, VT. It’s not a chain store so I don’t think this is helpful information! :-(

• luciacara March 20, 2012, 7:47 pm

Thanks, Leyla – I so want those tiny plastic ones :)

• Leyla Torres August 2, 2012, 6:44 am

Late answer here. I find them in a wooden store around where I live. but they are a little wobbly too!

• Ryynette March 9, 2012, 5:01 pm

Oh, Leyla, you should post more often! I love reading your blog posts!

• Vera Young March 19, 2012, 4:57 pm

Obrigada por compartilhar este precioso modelo! Dá uma olhadinha na Roda d´Àgua Arcoiris que eu dobrei… Esse módulo é muuuuuuito bom! Um abraço.

• Lucia April 30, 2012, 8:23 am

Adorei todo o seu trabalho. Sempre fui apaixonada por coisas em papel. Você poderia indicar-me um professor em Campinas – SP, Brasil?

• Leyla Torres April 30, 2012, 8:52 am

Hola Lucia,
      Obrigada por sua visita Lucia. Talvez você pode entrar em contato Vera Young através de seu blog http://www.coisasdepapel.com.br/
      Ela é do Brasil e poderia estar em melhores condições para lhe dar informações sobre professores no Brasil.

• Jing Yi Wu June 26, 2012, 12:15 pm

I know a much easier way to fold a piece of paper into thirds. Just go to this link!

• Leyla Torres June 27, 2012, 10:25 am

Hi Jing Yi Uw,
      Thank you for sharing with us your nice method of dividing the paper in thirds and fifths.

• diana pineda June 26, 2012, 4:00 pm

hola…. esta página y todo está muy interesante, en mi colegio también practicamos origami y nos ha ayudado demasiado en procesos intelectuales estan todos invitados a visitar http://origamiymatematicas.blogspot.com

• Leyla Torres June 27, 2012, 10:30 am

Gracias Diana, me alegra que el origami te sea una buena herramienta para entender conceptos matemáticos.

• Denise August 1, 2012, 2:32 pm

Leyla onde posso conseguir o diagrama deste Accordion Box? obrigada, adorei, já fiz várias….

• Denise August 1, 2012, 2:33 pm

Leyla donde puedo conseguir este recuadro Acordeón diagrama? gracias, me encantó, he hecho varias ….

• Leyla Torres August 2, 2012, 6:46 am

Hola, si lees el artículo arriba, ahí encuentras la información de dónde están los diaqgramas.

• Rose September 27, 2012, 6:12 pm

This is fantastic and innovative, and a great model to show off pretty double sided papers! I plan to make two sets to use as desk drawer organisers for all those small objects :) The wheel idea is fantastic as well!

• Ruby February 15, 2013, 4:13 pm

really cool and works great:)

• Shirley March 24, 2013, 11:48 pm

Thank you Leyla, I enjoyed this and all your tutorials.

• Dr Sonia S V March 29, 2013, 8:32 am

Ms Leyla I am not usually good at Origami but your tutorial was so fantastic I could easily make one at first attempt. I added a handle to make a basket . Have pinned your fabulous tutorial here:Box tutorials Here is the link to a basket I made : Paper Basket

• Leyla Torres March 29, 2013, 1:04 pm

Dear Dr. Sonia,
      Thank you for sharing with us your take on this lovely origami box. You have added a very personal and creative touch. And you are very patient for origami and skillful with your hands, just as the great surgeon you are! Greetings to your little daughter!

• Andrew C August 17, 2013, 3:01 pm

This is a very easy model thank you Mrs. Torres

• rosa December 9, 2013, 9:13 am

complimenti Leyla: il video è molto chiaro e l’oggetto è bellissimo e anche utile. proverò

• Leyla Torres December 9, 2013, 10:43 am

Thank you Rosa for writing. I’m happy you liked it!

• Serena December 19, 2013, 10:47 pm

As usual, a lucid and beautifully done video. These modules are so satisfying to fold and assemble. I noticed that the wheel is also a flexagon.

Thanks Leyla.

• Babou September 2, 2015, 2:02 pm

Hello Leyla,
    I folow you since a long time, now, you learned me so much !
    The whell i, this model could make a beautiful weath for Chrismas, with the good paper and some décorations…