How to Make an Origami Heart-Flower Box

by Leyla Torres on March 29, 2012

in -Boxes & Containers, -Functional, -Geometric, -Video Instructions, • Creators/Teachers, • How to & Techiques

origami boxes with petals in the shape of hearts in different colors

I love how these origami boxes with petals in the shape of hearts function as holders of notions like thread, buttons, pins, or thimbles. These origami boxes could just as easily hold chocolate eggs, pebbles, rose petals, grain, beans, staples, rubber bands, or clips.

Carlos Aguilar (El Salvador) designed this lovely box inspired by the origami heart and lock described in an earlier post on Origami Spirit. It is a pleasure to see how an idea generates another and how two different-looking origami models relate to each other by the way they are folded.

To be creative with origami, we just need to begin by looking for ways to modify existing origami figures, and then visualize what they can be transformed into.

I’ve developed a folding sequence for this origami box, which I share here in a video with instructions (Permission granted from Carlos Aguilar)

Origami instructions by Leyla Torres

What would you put in this heart-petaled origami box?

—————-

Do you want origami instructions to learn easy boxes and containers related to hearts? Read also:

If you like what you find on this page, click here to subscribe to Origami Spirit
and receive notification of coming posts for FREE via e-mail.

{ 19 comments… read them below or add one }

Kathy March 30, 2012 at 12:37 am

Thanks for sharing another simple, yet elegant model. It’s amazingly sturdy, too – for those chocolate eggs.

Leyla Torres April 3, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Chocolate eggs did you say? hmmm I love them!

Origami April 3, 2012 at 9:06 am

wow fantastic simple marvelous….

Marshall Hosey April 3, 2012 at 9:49 am

trying to view the video….can hear the audio, but get just a green screen for video.
Any opinions as to what may be the problem? Downloaded flashplayer, java, etc. no difference.

Leyla Torres April 3, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Hi Marshal,
Perhaps you may need to update your browser. Other than that please view the video directly in you tube http://youtu.be/uoK7RN1eRq0

IlseZ April 4, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Thanks a lot, Leyla, for another one of your fantastic video-tutorials. This model is really nice and lovely.

Matthew Hayward April 5, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Hi Leyla, thanks for another great video. I love the tension in this model and the way all the pre-creasing comes together at the end. It reminds me of the Francis Ow style of dishes.

joyce November 4, 2012 at 3:17 am

Thank you for the instructions!

Adrian November 11, 2012 at 3:09 am

I did It

Adrian November 11, 2012 at 5:05 am

I am 9 Years old and i did it!

Leyla Torres November 11, 2012 at 11:31 am

Congratulations Adrian! Now you can try some other origami figures from our youtube OrigamiSpirit

Adrian November 13, 2012 at 4:12 am

Thank You. i Did the flower pin and the sakura star

Denise February 15, 2013 at 11:20 pm

so elegant. Great instructions. Folded 30 of them from a scrappaper. Used them as dishes.
Tgether with the tree of hearts and heart chain for each guest, it was an amazing valentine-origami party

Leyla Torres February 16, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Great Denise. Thank you for sharing about your valentine origami party!

Janet March 12, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Finally, I’ve just cracked this one. I made one with a lot of patience and hard work that I never thought I had. Last night, I nearly did it, but in the end, I had to throw the paper into the bin and went to bed.

Dear Leyla, I’ve enjoyed your tutorials and have made some hearts and lotuses too. Even the hen didn’t look too bad. You’re remarkable and my days have been more joyous because of you. Many thanks.

Beth Rose March 30, 2013 at 2:46 am

Dear Leyla
A very belated happy new year to you! Thanks to Carlos Aguilar for sharing this elegant yet sturdy design. I had great fun creatively experimenting with it!

I was inspired by the photo accompanying the post – from above the boxes looked so much like classic picture frames, so I made a standing variation:

I also made a rose, involving an extra piece of paper folded inside:

Thank you for the fun and inspiration Leyla!
Beth

Leyla Torres March 30, 2013 at 10:11 am

Happy new year to you too Beth… Every day happens to be the beginning of the next 12 months, so it’s never late for good wishes!

Thank you for sharing your variations to this box. I always love to see how these figures can develop into other things.

I also liked the papers you used and your version with magazine covers. Fun!

Pedro April 2, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Excelente tutorial, muy claro y didáctico. Gracias Leyla por compartir este diseño de Carlos Aguilar.
Saludos desde Argentina.
Pedro Aparicio.

govind kulkarni March 22, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Thanks for explaining the box in so simple terms.