The Paper Boat –Magical Traditional Origami

by Leyla Torres on October 13, 2012

in -Action & toys, -Video Instructions, • How to & Techiques, • Personal

Post image for The Paper Boat –Magical Traditional Origami

Do you remember the magic of seeing a paper boat, or other origami figure, being folded in front of you for the first time?

I was about five years old when a friend of my mother’s folded one and gave it to me. Later at home, I found a rectangular piece of paper and folded a little boat all by myself. I was able to remember the folding sequence!

Even then the process captured my attention as much as the finished boat. For me, all of it was was spell binding. And even though many years have passed since that first introduction to origami, the magic remains.

This is a 3-minute video with instructions on how to fold the traditional paper boat. Watch to the end and see the boat sailing down a crystal-clear Vermont stream.

“These paper boats of mine are meant to dance on the ripples of hours, and not reach any destination.” ~Rabindranath Tagore

I spent a marvelous morning taking these pictures and enjoying the fall foliage at lake Shaftsbury, Vermont.

We welcome your comments or origami memories. Click here and scroll to the bottom to leave them.

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Cristina October 14, 2012 at 5:04 am

Yo era tan pequeña cuando aprendí a doblar este barquito que, para mí, saber doblarlo es como saber coger el tenedor o saber amarrar los cordones de los zapatos. Ahora veo que fuiste tú quien me lo enseñó. Quién te regaló ese barquito?

Leyla Torres October 14, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Una compañera de universidad de Ro, cuyo nombre no recuerdo, lo plegó en frente de mis ojos un día que Ro me llevó a clase con ella. La chica me mostró el barquito tradicional y otro barquito con caperuza. Este último no logré plegarlo por mi cuenta. Muchos años después encontré al fin instrucciones para plegarlo. ¡He de demostrarlo en video también!

Rose October 15, 2012 at 12:46 am

Those photos are gorgeous – the bright boats against the beautiful landscape looks magical!
B Rose

Leyla Torres October 15, 2012 at 8:55 pm

It took me a couple of trips to the lake, but I had most fun playing with the boats and taking the photographs!

Leyla Torres October 20, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Dorothy Kaplan has sent me some great ideas to make paper boats:
“If you go over the bottom edge of the boat on both sides with a crayon, the paper on the bottom doesnt disintegrate so fast. And by the way, I can no longer make the paper boat from newspaper because the papers around here are so narrow the dimensions arent right unless you cut the paper and then the boat or the hat might not be big enough.
The newspapers have some nerve! But I think I thought of a solution…..Buy a big pad of newsprint at the art store. I think that will be the right size for newspaper folding”

leyla caroline May 18, 2013 at 1:47 pm

nos ensina a fazer um balão????