Make an Origami Cross –Version 1

Make an Origami Cross –Version 1 post image

When I first saw this origami cross I fell in love with it. In another post I’ve featured a cross for Easter made with a long palm frond. The cross presented here is made with a square piece of paper.  Matthew Green (USA-Mexico) is the talented designer of this origami cross.

This origami cross model can be made for holidays like Easter, the “Day of the Holy Cross”, the “May Cross”, celebrated on May 3rd in many parts of Spain and Hispanic America.

In a future post I will present another of Matthew’s origami cross variations together with recollections my mother related to me of her memories of the May Cross celebration in Bogotá, when she was just a small girl.

The following step-by-step video shows how to make one of the versions of the cross. Thank you, Matthew, for giving your permission to present this model.

I encourage you to fold this cross, even if you don’t celebrate a Christian-related holiday. It could be a lovely gift to a friend who does celebrate these holidays and the folding process is delightful and satisfying.

Tips and suggestions for making the origami cross

• Thin, crisp paper is ideal to use for this origami cross. In the video the cross is demonstrated using thin kami paper, known in the U.S. as “origami paper”.
  • Other papers –gift-wrapping or office are also suitable.
  • Use a piece of paper at least 6×6 inches (15x15cm.) when first learning the model.
  • Only one side of the paper shows in the front. It is not necessary to have paper of different color on each side.
  • Practice making the cross a few times with flat-colored paper.
  • This origami cross can be a beautiful ornament on a wedding or as a first-communion gift.

origami-cross-gift

mandala-image

These are the two versions of Matthew Green‘ crosses published in Origami Spirit.
Click here to make the origami cross on the right

origami-crosses-600

. . . . . . . . . . .

Have you seen our selection of printable origami papers?
Click here to buy and download yours instantly

printable-paper-origami-posts

• Tess March 24, 2015, 5:45 pm

What a wonderful tutorial, Leyla! I will need to watch it again to make another cross for a gift; the first was for practice. Thank you for all you do!

• Matthew Green February 16, 2015, 6:49 pm

Your idea of using patterned paper inspired me to design a Gothic pattern for this model. The printable paper will be included with the diagrams, which I have already submitted for sale from The Source on the OrigamiUSA website (a $2 download).

• Matthew Green February 16, 2015, 11:17 am

I’m glad you and your viewers enjoy this model! Your beautiful paper really makes it look fantastic too. Your tutorials are a gift to the origami world.

• Leyla Torres February 16, 2015, 11:50 am

Thank you Matthew. Your crosses are lovely origami jewels. I’m so happy to be able to feature
      them here in Origami Spirit!

• Edna Siu February 16, 2015, 12:38 am

Wow, Leyla, you tutorial is absolutely amazing, it is so easy to follow, I follow right at the beginning, and only need to click the video to pause for the repeated folds on the centre, it is easy to follow and precise to finish. Thanks again and for the design pattern for paper. Thanks again.

• silvina February 15, 2015, 4:12 pm

precioso!

• Dawn Tucker February 15, 2015, 3:52 pm

Thank you for making both the cross tutorial and the paper available. They are perfect together!

• Lisa Jastram February 15, 2015, 2:52 pm

I have been waiting a long time for a well-proportioned, artistic cross and here it finally is! Thank you for sharing!

• Rosemary Browne February 15, 2015, 2:23 pm

Dear Leyla … this is an absolutely wonderful model you have chosen to share with us. As always, so well taught and the mandala is a most generous touch! I studied it for a long time and can well appreciate the hours of work you have spent. It is exquisite! Thank you to Matthew Green for his creation and to you, Leyla, for an outstanding tutorial and gift.

Rosemary

• Vivien Cooper February 15, 2015, 12:43 pm

So beautiful Layla. You are always so inspiring. A big thank you !

• Marsha Pitman February 15, 2015, 9:58 am

Absolutely awesome model and tutorial, as always, Leyla! I truly love your videos! Thank you!!!

• Irene February 15, 2015, 9:47 am

so inspiring and would love to make this in a bigger version for my apartment.
    So beautiful a cross, and appropriate for Easter. Thank you n God bless