Lady Coco -The Origami Studio Cat

This five-minute video story will warm your heart and put a smile on your face!

Coco, our cat, appeared at our doorstep one sunny day in the late fall of 2012. John brought her in for shelter while we attempted to find out who her owner might be. Thoroughly searching our neighborhood and asking around town, nobody claimed her.

It seems that Coco chose to live with John and me and be part of our Origami Spirit studio. We fell in love with her immediately and she currently fills the role of Chief tester of “playability” for all origami models.

Coco is the name she is known by, but her full name is Corazón, which is the Spanish word for “heart”. In addition to being a sweet heart, Coco has a heart-shaped black marking on her right side. Her little black nose also resembles a heart.

One of Coco’s peculiarities is noticing when John and I are about to go away for a long trip. She makes sure to let us know that she doesn’t like our pending departure, at all. When we’re about to walk out the door, she hides!

The story in the video featured here begins when we’re about to leave for the 2015 Origami USA convention in New York and Coco is left at home, alone.

What will Coco do, alone in the house, while John and Leyla enjoy the convention? What gifts will John and Leyla bring back to her?

We hope you enjoy watching it as much as we had fun creating it!

Coco, John and and I send lots of love from our hearts to yours.

Peace and paper, always!

PS. If you like the video, share it with your family and friends. It will make us happy too!

. . . . . . . . . .

If you like what you find here on Origami Spirit, click to subscribe
for upcoming posts notifications –It’s easy and FREE!

• Sandra September 30, 2016, 5:32 pm

I liked very much. I love cats and origami.

• Ana Carolina September 29, 2015, 1:38 pm

What a funny video! A very good production indeed! Coco is adorable!! <3 And so Leyla and John!

• Ella July 21, 2015, 8:35 am

Aw. It was such a wonderful video. Your cat Coco is so cute! I wish I had her. Great work Leyla and John. It was a fascinating video. And I have also shared this video with my friends and my family members and they loved it. Once again, I loved your video. Thank you. :)

• Michila Caldera July 18, 2015, 11:55 am

Very nicely done, Leyla & John! I love Coco, even though I’ve never met her!

• Leyla Torres July 20, 2015, 10:28 am

Hi Michila,
      Coco loves you too, and says that perhaps one they if you are traveling in the Northeast, you can pay her a visit!

• min July 18, 2015, 2:21 am

Coco is so cute and naughty. and her toys are so cool. i’m jealous

• Leyla Torres July 20, 2015, 10:06 am

Hi Min, Coco is taking a nap at the moment, but she told me to send love to all her fans!

• Cheryl Gibbs July 17, 2015, 3:15 am

It’s a delightful video, but I can’t help worrying about who was feeding Coco for 3 days. I’m sure there was somebody, who also took the pictures.
    I really admired your sunflower. Will there be a video on the website? South Africa is a bit far away to attend OUSA conventions.

• Leyla Torres July 20, 2015, 10:25 am

Hi Cheryl,
      Not to worry! Coco was well taken care of while we traveled. Have you heard of something called literary fiction? We created the story to show our affection for Coco and for the art of origami ;-)
      There will be a video of the sunflower. Thank you for writing!

• Greta Kessler July 16, 2015, 5:58 pm

So charming!!!!! And, I love the music, too!

• Leila Souza July 16, 2015, 3:57 pm

Sooooo cuuuute! Thanks for sharing Coco’s love with us!

• Leyla Torres July 20, 2015, 10:22 am

I’m happy you enjoyed it. Coco has brought us lots of love!

• Nemeton Kieran July 16, 2015, 2:35 pm

Coco is adorable and the video is great! Who had the idea for this project was realy inspired! My reverences to Queen Coco!

• Leyla Torres July 20, 2015, 10:21 am

Thank you Nemeton. The idea grew little by little and took some time to take shape and be produced. I’m happy you enjoyed it!

• Jean Kinsey July 16, 2015, 12:08 pm

Thank you for a loving, gentle story. Your models I can fold, and they have given me much joy in the last few years. I love all your cat models, and so does Boxcar, my cat. I hope sometime your sunflower model will be on the web one day. It looks like it was a wonderful convention. You and your models (and family and Coco) are a part of my life, now!

• Leyla Torres July 20, 2015, 10:20 am

Hi Jean,
      The sunflower will be featured here. Greetings from Coco and her family to Boxcar and his family!

• Laurence W July 16, 2015, 2:36 am

Lovely video !

• Elsa Lucia Cabrera July 16, 2015, 12:06 am

Queridos Leyla y Juan, gracias por tan hermoso video. Yo creo que con bellas ilustraciones de Leyla y el excelente recuento de los hechos, perfectamente se puede hacer un libro que muchas personas gozaran, pues es apto para todas las edades.
    Un abrazo lleno de carino,
    Elsa Lucia

• Hans Dybkjær July 15, 2015, 11:57 pm

Not sure if I wanted to be at the convention with you or at home with Coco the most. Heart warming story.

• Leyla Torres July 20, 2015, 10:17 am

Thank you Hans. It’s hard to see Coco’s reactions when we are about to leave. All her little feelings communicated to us in this and that way. She is sleeping right now. Does she know how much love she has brought to our lives?

• Rosemary Browne July 15, 2015, 10:11 pm

Dear John and Leyla: I think we have a book here to be sure! What a lovely story. Anyone who knows the love of an animal will be able to relate. I remember when you first found Coco. I truly believe these wonderful creatures come into our lives for a reason. Such abounding joy they give us and ask for so little in return. You only have to look in Coco’s eyes to see her beautiful soul. Thank you for this film; it was heartwarming, endearing, and absolutely entertaining. The origami was amazing!
    Love to Leyla, John and Coco from Rosemary, Skippy and Daisy xox

• Leyla Torres July 20, 2015, 10:14 am

Thank you Rosemary. I had never had a cat before Coco. I thought I was allergic to cats. It turns out that my allergy is to wheat. I happened to find out just before Coco came into our lives. I’m grateful for all the joy she has brought us. Coco sends lots of love to Rosemary, Skippy and Daisy!

• Barbara Berret July 15, 2015, 9:41 pm

Oh my, Leyla and John, how joyful, thoughtful, clever, funny, and warm you both are! Rescue cat or rescued humans, I wonder. Coco is precious and so are you. Thank you.

• Cathy Zelonis July 15, 2015, 8:36 pm

That was just charming. I loved it. The best present for Coco was, of course, your return. It was an interesting way of showing us pictures from the convention, also. Looks like lots of fun!

• Leyla Torres July 20, 2015, 10:11 am

Thank you Cathy. We just wanted to share our affection for this kitty and for our origami practice. A big heart for you!

• Bethery July 15, 2015, 7:47 pm

Thanks – that’s a lovely video.

• Sonia July 18, 2015, 6:12 am

Delightful! Hi Bethery!

Leyla and John–you have a fan base in Sarasota and Bradenton Florida (plus our buddy Bethery, out west)!

• Leyla Torres July 20, 2015, 10:10 am

Coco sends paw-hugs to Sonia and all her fans in Sarasota and Bradenton FL and to Bethery out west!