Make an Origami Mouse for Your Cat

origami mouse

Looking for a fun homemade cat toy? This inflatable origami mouse belongs in the kingdom of origami toys. It’s fun to make, can be folded in minutes, and your cat won’t waste a second before pouncing on it.

My cat, Coco, loves to pick it up by the tail, release it, then pounce again. Watch her playing with her toy mouse in the video tutorial below.

Don’t have a cat? This is also a fun gift and stocking stuffer for your feline-loving friends or family members during the holiday season. Read tips and suggestions below for more ideas.

This clever cat toy was designed by my good friend David Donahue. I contributed to David’s design by suggesting some folds to make the ears round and more mouse-like. This little mouse is called “Desert Pocket Mouse” and was inspired by a North American species found in the southwestern United States and Mexico. Here is the video showing how it’s made.

Tips and suggestions to make this homemade cat toy

• Use paper 6 x 6 inches (15 x 15 cm.), white on one side and pink or grey on the other.
  •  Thin paper like “Kami” known in the US as “origami paper” works well.
  • If you use kami paper, start on the side whose color you want the body to be. For example, if you want a white mouse with a pink tail, start with the white side facing up.
  • You can make it also with a piece of paper from a note book or a discarded magazine.
  • This little origami mouse folds flat. It is easy to mail, fits handily in a purse or wallet, and makes for a nice spontaneous gift.
  •  After the mouse is folded and inflated, slightly unfold the tail and fill the body with cotton and a bit of catnip. Let the fun begin!

So, have fun with this homemade cat toy, and let us know how the cat in your life likes it!

. . . . . . . . . .

If you like what you find here, click here to subscribe to this blog
and receive alerts for coming posts via e-mail –They are FREE!

• BOBBIE VIJAYAKKAR September 6, 2015, 12:54 pm

Leyla Torres,
    The models are amazing and its nice to watch your videos. Do continue to send me such videos and diagrams in future.

• Cat Lover August 18, 2015, 9:10 pm

Love It!!! Soooooo cute!

• Noodles July 20, 2015, 5:02 pm

This is awesome ! The mouse is so cute as well as the cat

• Ella September 30, 2014, 9:37 am

Hi, Leyla
    I made this cute little mouse for my cat. For the trial, I made this toy with a white piece of origami sheet. First I gave this toy to my cat, but it did not play with it. Next, I used a grey piece of origami sheet. I gave the mouse to it and my cat took the mouse and started biting the toy’s tail and was biting its body. I am very happy.

Ella

• Elise August 14, 2015, 7:45 am

It either like grey a lot or your 2nd one looks more realistic(perhaps color?).
      It’ll be a tough job to get paper out of your cat’s teeth.What’s your cat’s name,and what type is it?

P.S. Our names are similiar. o.o

• Leyla Torres August 14, 2015, 10:17 am

Hi Elise,
        Our cat’s name is Coco (female) Not a particular breed, she just appeared at our door one day. Since we could not find an owner, we kept her. She is a sweet heart. Here, watch this other video where she is the star: https://youtu.be/hR-eTlGvaUI

• Elsa Lucia Cabrera March 15, 2014, 10:44 pm

FABULOSO!!

GRACIAS

• jet November 19, 2013, 7:17 am

wooow this looks cute and brilliant, i have tried it, but this is i think for more experiant people, i must learn it by trial and error. the tute of yours is great so one day i will finished one by me.;-D
    Thank you for your awesome tute and cute idea, i hope your cat love your mouse.

• Leyla Torres November 19, 2013, 8:48 am

Hi jet,
      The important thing is that you keep on trying. Folding a model several times, even when you already have experience, makes each figure better and more refined.
      If you would like to familiarize yourself with simpler origami, please visit this page and choose from several options: http://www.origamispirit.com/videos/origami-for-beginners/

• Diamond November 18, 2013, 1:01 pm

I LOVE to watch the kitty play with the mouse!!!!

Cant have kitty because of allergy, this is the next best thing.

• Leyla Torres November 18, 2013, 1:35 pm

Hi Diamond,
      Yes, we all love that kitty… and now her fame is getting into her head! She is quite a spoiled kitty, but she is precious to us. Do you have a cat?