There are different ways to color paper for origami. The paper used to make these striking origami butterflies was colored onion skin paper, which is originally white (it is also strong, thin, crisp, translucent and folds easily). This particular model is called Origamido Butterfly and it was designed by Michael LaFosse.
Video: demonstration on how to fold a very similar butterfly designed by Michael LaFosse. On that page look for a link on the top right corner where it says “fold more models” . You will land on a page where you will find a picture of a blue butterfly. Click on it to see the tutorial.
Steps to decorate the paper:
- Place one or more squares of clean onion skin paper over a larger piece of white paper on a hard surface.
- Sprinkle crayon shavings on each square to be folded.
- Place another piece of paper over the shavings.
- Melt the crayon shavings onto the onion skin paper by lightly passing a warm iron for a couple of seconds seconds over the papers.
- Separate the pieces of paper.
- Use the colored squares to make butterflies.