Origami flowers come in many different shapes and forms. When I saw this origami flower, I fell in love with it and immediately wished I could make it. Take a piece of paper and make it right away…I’m sure you will love it too!
This flower, designed by David Martinez, is made with an hexagonal piece of paper, which is very easy to make from a square. David calls it “Field Flower”. It will take some time to make, but once you have made the first one, you will want to make many more. The process is meditative and relaxing, and will become easier as you make several flowers.
The following step-by-step video shows how to make an hexagon out of a square and David Martinez’ field flower. As I was preparing the video I discovered a variation that shows the back color of the paper so I added that variation too.Thank you to David for granting permission to present your model.
Looking for more origami flowers?
Click HERE to view a list of videos to make origami flowers
Tips and suggestions to make this six-petal origami flower
- Regular office paper, normally used to type letters or make copies is perfect for making this origami flower. If you find this paper in different colors, even better!
- In addition to making the flower, the video shows how to fold a hexagon. You can skip to minute 2:35 if you already know how to make a hexagon.
- The first time you make this origami flower, begin your hexagon from a paper no smaller than 8.5 x 8.5 inches (21 x 21 cm) and fold a few of this size to begin with. Practice makes the master.
- When you become proficient at folding this flower from the larger sized paper, folding with smaller piece of paper will bring more successful results for sure.
- If you make the flower with paper of different color on each side, start with the color of the finished flower facing up.
- Onion Skin paper is perfect to make this origami flower. You can color it following suggestions in this post.
- Since this is a six-sided flower, it doubles up as an origami snowflake.
- Make origami snowflakes in white or silver papers to create lovely Christmas decorations.