How to Make an Origami Heart in Less Than 5 Minutes

Origami heart -corazón

Before moving to the United States in 1985 I knew almost nothing about Valentine’s Day. And to tell the truth I don’t do much to celebrate this particular holiday.

But we all love finding a clever, easy-to-make origami heart!

So, when I discovered this model I just couldn’t pass up the opportunity to show it here on Origami Spirit. The timing was perfect!

I first discovered this easy origami heart on Simply Modern Mom the blog of Tiffany Bird. Tiffany is  a young mother of two beautiful girls and her site is filled with excellent ideas and resource links to help simplify the lives of busy parents.

Tiffany learned to make this paper heart -of an unknown creator, as a child in Hawaii. On Valentine’s Day she and her classmates would use letter-fold heart to write special messages.

In this video I will show how to make this origami heart and how to add a string for hanging it.

In addition to using the heart as a letter-fold to write love messages,Tiffany suggests using it as a wall decoration. And it occurred to me that it might make a nice necklace too!
Materials for the origami heart

• A rectangular sheet letter size 8.5 x 8 11 inch or A4 rectangle to make a heart to write messages.
  • A rectangular paper about 15 x 12 cm to make hearts for a necklace.
  • A thin string about 70 cm long.

Since celebrating love is a tradition in various parts of the world this date, my parents, sister, brothers, and their families, living in many distant places joined together in a feast of origami hearts.

At this time we express our love for each other through our respective photographs and the wearing of these origami heart necklaces.

The Netherlands

I’d like to use the opportunity of this post to express how grateful and blessed I feel to have so many wonderful people around the world who read and follow this blog. I love and appreciate you all with all my heart.

Happy Valentine’s Day, everyone!

If you like what you find on this page, click here to subscribe to Origami Spirit
and receive notification of coming posts for FREE via e-mail.

• David February 13, 2013, 11:29 am

Very Nice!
    It’s great to have a model that can be made with 8.5’x11’ paper!

• Annie February 13, 2013, 11:52 am

Beautiful! Thank you, Leyla!

• Maureen February 13, 2013, 2:44 pm

Love this heart. Thank you so much. You are an excellent teacher!

• NELL YERAZO PAZMIÑO February 13, 2013, 3:54 pm

fantastico este corazón¡¡¡¡lo enseñare a mis alumnos para que lo hagan a las mujeres el dia de la mujer el 8 de marzo¡¡¡¡ gracias¡

• Bristol February 13, 2013, 4:38 pm

¡Muchas gracias, Leyla, por tu gran corazón!!! <3

• Sande February 13, 2013, 8:48 pm

Thank you for this lovely heart. I have a very difficult time fooling but managed to make some!

I am trying to make your fantastic hen but the video is to fast for me to follow. Is there a slower version anywhere? I would love to give several to my ‘egg lady’ as a way of thanking her for my farm fresh eggs. Thanks you again!

• Gisella February 13, 2013, 9:31 pm

El amor el amor que lindos corazones los de todos toditos!!! Súper Ley

• Elsa Lucia Cabrera February 13, 2013, 9:52 pm

Dear Leyla, Thanks a lot for this heart. It is great to see your entire family.

• Chila Caldera February 13, 2013, 11:59 pm

Hi, Leyla! I’m delighted to see this. I have a diagram for this design (with one step different), that I got from John Andrisan several years ago. The diagram is by Terry Hall, and says “Collected by Phyllis Snyder”. Phyllis was a WCOG (L.A.) member who passed away a year or so ago (she was in her 80s). The only difference in this one vs the one I have diagrammed is the two side edges that are folded into the center, are folded to the back in my version vs the front in yours. I like the look of the front of yours better, but the front of mine ends up with a pocket that you can slip a smaller heart into or a little strip of paper with a name on it perhaps. I’ll try to get a photo and also send you that diagram, soon. ….. e-hugs, from Chila ///

• Leyla Torres February 16, 2013, 1:59 pm

Yes Chila, I saw diagrams for the heart you describe. Either variation is just great!

• Vicky February 14, 2013, 3:54 am

Tienes unas manos maravillosas. Muchas gracías por compartir tus trabajos.

• Gerd April 1, 2013, 4:21 pm

Please – not an origami question…
      How did you made your avantar?

• Leyla Torres April 1, 2013, 5:15 pm

Dear Gerd, I just last week changed my avatar all across the internet. I hate to tell you that I’m not quite sure how I did upload/change it in here. I cannot find it in here again! It might be linked with the gravatar website. https://en.gravatar.com/site/login but this is not a wordpress.com site… Let me check and see if I can figure it out.

• Martha Espejo February 15, 2013, 4:33 am

Hola Leila,

Muy linda la idea, bonita familia. Voy a tratar de hacer el corazón.

• vivien cooper February 15, 2013, 6:00 pm

Thank you Layla. Your designs are wonderful and truly inspiring, I love the abundance hens. So delighted to have found your site.

• Michel February 17, 2013, 5:28 pm

Hola / hello
    Este modelo ha sido publicado (¿ primero ?) en / This model has been published (first ?) in :
    ORU Mag 8 (03 / 1995)
    con 8 otros cartas dobladas / with 8 more letterfolds.

El diagrama se encuentra aqui / You can find the diagram here :

• rosvita March 4, 2013, 7:13 pm

Amei a ideia do colar. Acho que vou utilizar a ideia para o dia das mães, na escola biblíca ( Sunday School). Adora teus videos. Continue a nos presentear com eles…
    E que Deus te abençoe…
    Com carinho, Rosvita

• Rajyashree Mukherjee April 4, 2013, 6:05 am

Dear Leyla,
    You are really a superb origami teacher. I just love your channel on Youtube and also the website. Keep it up and please keep on teaching.

Yours faithfully,

• Julianna August 1, 2014, 1:01 am

Dear Leyla,
    Your origami makings are soooo BEAUTIFUL! Keep it on! :))

• Leyla Torres August 1, 2014, 10:54 pm

Thank you Juliana, I’m very happy you enjoy them. You are welcome here!

• Irene July 22, 2015, 3:37 am

Dear Leyla. Thank you for this beautifull heart…
    You make very beautifull origami… I Love it!
    Many greetings from Holland

• Leyla Torres July 22, 2015, 9:39 am

You are welcome Irene, I’m happy you like the origami heart. You are always welcome here in Origami Spirit!