In addition to keeping a written journal, I periodically take pictures of the worktable in my studio, where I do most of my paper folding. This is my visual journal. The video below shows this table as it appeared at different times throughout 2013. Click to see videos of my visual journals in 2012 and 2011.
An Origami Journal as a Tool
For many years I have kept different journals, which are tools that help me keep track of my progress and set new goals.
My basic journal is a book with one page per calendar day where I write daily. My primary purpose for keeping a journal has been to develop an awareness of those moments in my life that I consider unique or beautiful.
For example, one particular time of the year I enjoy is attending the Origami USA annual convention. My favorite fold learned this year at the origami convention was a teddy bear (Caramel Bear) in the photo above (designed and taught by Joel Stern).
Instructions for this origami Teddy Bear are included in the book My First Origami Kit*.
Journaling has become a valuable tool for understanding daily events, moods, and the outcomes of decisions. This journal reflects my quiet inner self, one that we all have, and helps me refine what I want to accomplish.
Origami has claimed a prominent place in my journal, my studio, and my life. The discipline of writing on a daily basis has helped me accept the practice of origami as a valid path, as a passion, and as a fundamental factor in the ever-surprising equation that makes up my life.
Keeping a journal is a tool that can help you to…
- Record ideas and projects.
- Work out and monitor the growth of concepts in development.
- Have a place of reference to revisit and be a source of ideas.
- Freely record impressions and feelings of events and relationships.
- Document progress toward goals.
- Address doubts and face fears.
- Define paths to follow and celebrate achievements.
- Organize priorities and distill what is most important and meaningful.
Full list of visual journals published in different years:
- A year’s Journal -Leyla’s Origami Worktable 2015
- Fun and Inspiration from My Creative Origami Table -2014
- Why Keep a Journal -Creativity Through Origami -2013
- Keeping a Visual Journal –Leyla’s Work Table -2012
- Inviting Chaos Into a Creative Life -2011
. . . . . . . . . .