Warning! Making This Box Can Become Addictive

Warning! Making This Box Can Become Addictive post image

This container is a variation of a traditional origami box. The modification consists of making some folds slanted, instead of parallel, to a central line.

But be careful! Making origami boxes can become addictive, especially when we find beautiful papers to experiment with.

Here is a video demonstrating how to make this origami box. And below, find links for something to put in it.

How about making some origami popcorn to fill this box?

Here is a yummy origami treat that could also be put into this container.

If you like what you find here, click here to subscribe to this blog
and receive coming posts via e-mail.

• Anastasia June 5, 2012, 9:01 am

Made it! Well a tiny one from a post it note but still I made it. Hmmmm can you also show us a lid for the box? because it would make a great cookie gift box for my daughters teachers gifts.

• Leyla Torres June 5, 2012, 9:35 am

A lid… I’ll have to think about it. For the near future, I’ll be teaching what to put in it. I’m sure that your daughter’s teachers will love it as much as if it had a lid.

• govind kulkarni June 5, 2012, 12:42 pm

a simple but elegant model.

• Leyla Torres June 5, 2012, 1:49 pm

Thank you Govind! This is an example of how a small variation of an angle can result in something attractive!

• SilBsAs June 5, 2012, 2:08 pm

How nice! Loved it! is it possible to get the diagram?? Thanks! Cheers from Argentina.

• Leyla Torres June 5, 2012, 10:31 pm

I don’t have the diagram, only the video featured on this post!

• Ana Carolina June 5, 2012, 2:24 pm

Very cute model! Thank you, Leyla!

• Bon June 28, 2012, 6:23 pm

Where can we find the wonderful striped and polka dot paper? Thank you for your fabulous videos!!

• Leyla Torres June 28, 2012, 9:43 pm

Hi Bon,
      The polka dot and stripe papers were a present from a friend. But you can google them by “dot chiyogami paper”

• Olga Mittermayer July 6, 2012, 4:03 pm

Hola Leyla, Tienes toda la razón doblar cajitas es siempre como un deber maravilloso , gracias por enseñarnos . Saludos. Olga

• Gerardo August 1, 2012, 4:41 pm

It’s based on what traditional model Leyla? It’s an excellent box : )

• Karen September 4, 2012, 8:58 pm

This is my favorite box bottom to make!
    Only exception is the for the corners, I fold it straight across, not at an angle.
    My box becomes more square this way. :)
    You have awesome tutorials!!!!

• Leyla Torres September 4, 2012, 10:17 pm

Great Karen, if you post a photo of your box, share a link with us!

• Rose September 27, 2012, 4:01 am

Thankyou for this very well explained and easy to follow tutorial!
    I have added this lovely design to my collection of favourite origami boxes. These certainly are addictive! I have made a bunch, experimenting with different thicknesses of paper. So far their contents include lucky stars, origami flowers and paperclips :)

Your work on this site is highly appreciated and inspires me! Thankyou :)

• Kayla October 13, 2012, 3:21 pm

Can a 12-13 year old make one, is it that easy?

• Leyla Torres October 13, 2012, 4:54 pm

Hi Kayla,
      Yes, 12-13 year olds can make this box. If they have never done origami before, it might take more than one try. The best is not to focus on the finished result, but to enjoy the process as well. With practice they will achieve better and better results. Origami teaches patience and is not meant to try only once. The more they repeat the process the better their skills will become.

• misty November 5, 2012, 5:32 pm

this has been one of the easiest boxes i had ever made! it is so cool and cute!i might even make more! thanks Leyla!:)

• misty November 5, 2012, 5:33 pm

(P.S you are right, making these boxes are addicting! i don’t know why but they just are!)

• Russell February 27, 2013, 8:00 pm

The reason it’s addictive is because it’s so easy to make it! I made 3 since last night, with different size and colour of papers. The folds are very easy to remember and teach as well. Thanks for the video Leyla, warm regards from Bangladesh. :)

• Leyla Torres February 27, 2013, 11:31 pm

Bangladesh!!! I love people folding and enjoying on the other side of the world from where I’m located. Thank you for writing Rusell!

• Leyla Caroline May 12, 2013, 11:31 am

Please Leyla Torres:
    Teaches us to make a safe box of paper!
    Thank you! From: Leyla Caroline. To: Leyla Torres

• Luisa Aryadne May 12, 2013, 11:33 am

Please Leyla Torres:
    Teaches us to do a Christmas tree!
    Thank you! From: Luisa Aryadne. To: Leyla Torres

• Arielle May 29, 2014, 1:51 pm

This just might work with some tweaking… I trying to make an origami shadowbox to show off some of my origami creations! I thought sticking them on a card or in a frame would be too easy. :)

• bhdsglk.uegfuegfuh June 9, 2014, 4:46 pm