Don’t Wait for Halloween to Fold This Bat-Winged Heart

origami for halloween, bat winged heart

Love Halloween? Whatever your feelings about celebrating this holiday, you will love folding this origami heart with bat wings.
Riki Saito (Japan) was inspired by Ildikó’s heart-dish, published recently in Origami Spirit. With the addition of bat wings he takes Ildiko’s origami heart to a new level.
Folded from a triangular piece of paper cut from a square along its diagonal, Riki Saito’s origami heart is a clever and charming origami for Halloween.

Here are video instructions on how to fold this great origami heart that can be used as a Halloween Candy Corn dish.

This origami heart with bat wings doesn’t speak only of Halloween! The heart can be equally interesting viewed from either side. When viewed from the front we could say it looks like Batman’s heart. From the opposite side we see a more feminine shape and might think of it as Batgirl’s heart.

Riki Saito is an origami artist, balloon twister, and juggler. In addition to this origami heart with wings, Riki has developed a collection of clever models that include origami hearts. They can be viewed in his Google Plus page. Grateful acknowledgment to Riki for allowing me to share his bat-winged origami heart in a video tutorial.

Need instructions for other origami hearts? Check out these posts:

1. Origami Heart Chain
  2. Unique Ways to Keep Romance Alive – Part 1 of 3 (Heart Box)
  3. Unique Ways to Keep Romance Alive – Part 2 of 3 (Heart Dish)
  4. Unique Ways to Keep Romance Alive – Part 3 of 3 (Heart Stand)

If you like what you find here, click and subscribe to receive updates from Origami Spirit via email (It’s FREE!)

• Rosemary March 16, 2012, 12:53 pm

How fantastic! Ricki Saito’s designs are so unique. Once again, as always, thank you Leyla for a superb tutorial, as well as sharing with us the “cream- of -the- crop” in creators.

May I ask what paper you are using. It sounds like Pacon :-)

Best always,

• Leyla Torres March 16, 2012, 12:58 pm

Hi Rosemary,

I used a paper called Stardream. It is somewhat thick, but it’s nice to fold.

• Raven November 1, 2012, 11:41 pm

Wow, that is my absolute favorite one ever! You have so much talent. Thanks for sharing!

• Maryann November 12, 2012, 10:27 pm

Awesome tutorial. Very easy to understand. As an added bonus, I feel like I could listen to it all day. Your voice is incredibly soothing and your accent is pretty.

• Leyla Torres November 13, 2012, 12:02 pm

Thank you Maryann. I’m glad you enjoyed my tutorial!

• angelica Resende February 25, 2013, 6:53 am

Leyla, gostei do tsuru em forma de coracao,se possivel enviar o diagrama e outras ideias obrigada.angelica.

• DIANA April 3, 2013, 6:14 am

IT IS AWESOME ………….

• Valentina September 10, 2013, 7:14 pm

I’m stuck at 07:07 to 07:35, could you please do a more detailed video of that part and send it to my e-mail? Here it is: valen.vega@hotmail.com

• Leyla Torres September 11, 2013, 9:56 am

Hi Valentina,
      I’ll be happy to make a two minute video exclusively for you, but for this kind of project I do charge. Another alternative is meeting over a Google hangout. I’ll send you my rates to your personal email address.

• Valentina September 12, 2013, 4:10 pm

A million thanks!

• L Wolffe October 26, 2015, 8:48 pm

Yeah, this is where it fell apart for me, too. I spent quite awhile but saying that my previous folds tells it what to do doesn’t really help me understand what *I’m* supposed to do.

• Renae February 3, 2014, 1:58 pm

I had so much trouble with this, at the end I got the basic shape down but the heart didn’t look right because I wasn’t able to fold the original diagonal folds in correctly. I’m going to re do it later and see if it comes out better.

• Leyla Torres February 3, 2014, 2:47 pm

You have the right idea Renae. We must be willing to fold a model more than once so that it turns out better. The more we make the better they’ll look! I’m sure you you will succeed!

• nancy October 21, 2014, 9:11 pm

That was so cool!!! Thank you !

• lynne legault July 27, 2015, 8:43 pm

enjoyed the halloween bat heart although your finishing touches are done too quickly…makes it hard for the finished product to look as nice.

• Camilla August 7, 2015, 6:21 pm

This piece of origami is amazing and was surprisingly easy. You are very creative.

Happy Friday 13th!

• Sarah October 25, 2015, 1:39 pm

Do you have the directions in print and pictures that you could email or link to?

• Cassi October 27, 2015, 2:00 am

I really enjoy this Oragami Design and I was able to follow your instructions just fine until you got the the part where the Heart becomes 3-Dimensional. I have it so the wings are up and behind it, but I cannot seem to get it from there. I have rewatched that part of the video atleast 10x’s and for some reason I can not get mine to fold where it tucks into itself for the first time.

• Leyla Torres October 28, 2015, 12:26 pm

Congratulations for trying it. Sometimes we need to grow our skills before we are able to make certain origami figures. My only thought is to suggest you fold the heart in this link: https://youtu.be/oKW3ZF1Ra-U a few times. This is the simpler version. It is an easier heart on which the heart-bat is based. If you study it, you’ll see how it becomes 3D. Then come back to this heart and try again. Don’t give up. Be patient and you will be rewarded with understanding how to perform the step you are missing.