A year’s Journal -Leyla’s Origami Worktable 2015

A year’s Journal -Leyla’s Origami Worktable 2015 post image

Photo © John Sutton

A few weeks ago I picked up the Sunday newspaper and on the front cover was a large photograph of white folded stars against a blue background. The stars looked like small people to me, and the image was uplifting. I opened the paper, and read.

Some articles were difficult to get through, reminding me of and describing in detail the endless and frightful difficulties that so many people endure at this time, on this small planet we all call home.

No matter what personal challenges I might have, these seem small compared to the unpleasant events I was reminded of that day.

I feel so grateful for the opportunity to share this quiet and safe art of origami with many people far and near. I think we all do the world a great service in practicing, and sharing, our gentle art.

So, as I have done in past years, in the following video I share with all of you, all of my friends, my visual journal… what happened at my own origami table in the year 2015.

As you will see, on some of my cleaning-out and cleaning up days the whole floor of my studio became an extension of my worktable. There was paper all over the place! But you will also see who gave me some help in my effort to organize.

I hope in the year that begins now you have opportunities to grow and fulfill your desires, and are inspired to add beauty and love to the world.

Keep folding, keep sharing, and ever cultivate a little island of peace during your days.

Here are links to origami models shown in the visual journal:

January
Make an Easy Origami Sheeporigami-sheep
Easy Paper Box -It’s a Heart and a Diamond!

February
How to Make a Traditional Square Origami Box
‎Make an Origami Cross -Version 1
Make an Origami Cross -Version 2

March
How to Make an Origami Shamrock –It’s a dish too!origami-shamrock
Origami Flower for a Guinness World-Record Attempt
Inflatable Origami Frog -Classic and Traditional

April
A Cute Origami Cat -It’s a Box Too! (Version 1 of 2)
A Cute Origami Cat -It’s a Box Too! (Version 2 of 2)

May
Origami Cat loveorigami-mondrian-cube
Origami Traditional Box -Sanbo Box
The Mondrian Cube: Quiet Elegance and Mathematical Beauty

June
How to Make an Origami Dragonfly

July
Origami Flower -Beautiful, Easy and Fast to Fold
Origami Sunflower -Bring Joy and Happiness to Your Life!origami-sunflower2A

August
Origami Sunflower 2 -Bring Joy and Happiness to Your Life!
Drop Everything and Make this Origami Dog!
Make an Origami Carousel -It’s never too late to have a happy childhood!

September
One Origami Box, Three Variationsorigami-dog-Yara-Yagi-150

October

Oink! Make an Origami Pig
Make This Delightful Paper Bat for Halloween

November
How to Make an Origami Goldfish
An Origami Star Box –Full of Creative Possibility!
Origami Santa Claus -It’s a Star and a Christmas Box Too!origami-goldfish
An Origami House for Lady Coco Cat

December
Make Tin Twist-Icicles Christmas Ornaments in seconds!
Make the Origami Star of Gratitude
Star of Gratitude -6 Ways to enhance it for decoration

. . . . .

Full List of Visual Journals:

• Elsa Lucia Cabrera January 6, 2016, 11:33 pm

Dear Leyla,
    As usual your video is extraordinary. I love the music, it is a pleasure to see your studio.
    Coco is a big helper ;-) but I know John is the best one.
    Best wishes for you and your helpers for 2016
    Love,
    Elsa Lucia

• Shirley Ting January 6, 2016, 1:03 pm

Beautiful, the video was a joy to watch. Thank you for sharing your art and love of creating.

• Wilma Jean Kinsey January 6, 2016, 11:47 am

I wrote too effusive and long an e mail! Just to say how much your work means to me. And your cat has a fan in me, also. Bet he liked the mice, yum yum. Please continue in 2016 and may you have a joyful and blessed year.

• Leyla Torres January 6, 2016, 1:10 pm

I receive all your effusive words with delight ;-) It’s always nice to know that our work inspire you!

• Wilma Jean Kinsey January 6, 2016, 11:36 am

Than you for a wonderful start to 2016 with your year’s collection of all your work..Prodigious!~ And I love your assistant, a lovely addition to your work table. I have managed to fold about 1/2 of the origami you have created. Wish I could do more. BTW, where did you get the card, ” Keep Calm and Fold Origami”? That is cool!. I am folding 150 hearts for a Chick-a- fil
    for her wedding in March. That will keep me busy! And a library display with a friend of “Sea-Land-and Space” this month, with some John Zinger figures for Land. Please keep up your origami if you can. It keeps me going.

• Leyla Torres January 6, 2016, 11:42 am

Dear Wilma Jean,
      I bought the “Keep Calm and Fold Origami” card from some friends in Mexico, actually…in 2014 when I went to their origami convention.
      I don’t know where they might be available at the moment.
      Best wishes for the new year!

• Edna Siu January 6, 2016, 1:52 am

Leyla and John, it is totally beautiful video, not just about origami, but photography and entertainment, I love to have Coco, it makes it more fun to go with your designs. Looking forward to seeing your elegant designs and tutorials which are enjoyable. Happy New Year and with best wishes.

• Leyla Torres January 6, 2016, 10:19 am

Stay tuned Edna. A lot of fun things on the plate for this year ;-)

• Danielle January 5, 2016, 11:34 pm

Leyla,

I look forward to your visual journal video every year. You put a lot of thought and effort into making Origami Spirit a beautiful and inspiring part of the Internet. Thank you for posting!

• Leyla Torres January 6, 2016, 10:18 am

You are welcome Danielle. We have like to share the fun. I’m glad you enjoy!

• rose johnson January 5, 2016, 10:35 pm

The video is just lovely. Music uplifting, color and shapes and arrangements eye pleasing. One beautiful creative year accomplished. A spititual journey and creative discipline in a capsule of time. Thank you. A grateful follower from Maryland, USA. RJ

• Leyla Torres January 6, 2016, 10:07 am

Hi Rose,

Thank you for your kind words. It’s a true pleasure to be able to share and interact with people about this lovely art of paper folding.

• Marisa Filion January 5, 2016, 8:37 pm

I am so touched by your dedication to the art of origami.
    In addition of your talent, I feel your heart in each of your creation. I am sure it’s why your web site is so perfect!
    Marisa

• Pat Demharter January 5, 2016, 6:40 pm

“Hands to work and hearts to God” is the true spirit of life.
    Thank you for sharing your craft in a way that no matter how terrible things may get in the world around us, there is a way to connect spiritually and make our fears and stresses go away even if it is just for an hour.
    I remember a book telling the plight of a little girl who was hurt during the atomic bombing in Japan. She learned how to fold paper cranes. She thought as long as she kept folding, she would continue to live. Although she died, the art of Origami helped keep her hope alive.
    Thank you for dedication and hard work. It is making a big impression on those who are following your spirit.
    Happiness and health to you, John, and your sweet Coco in the new year.

• Leyla Torres January 5, 2016, 10:32 pm

You are welcome Pat. The girl you mention is Sadako Sasaki. In 1958, a statue of Sadako holding a golden crane was unveiled in the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park. At the foot of the statue is a plaque that reads:
      “This is our cry. This is our prayer. Peace in the world.”
      Best wishes for this new year!

• Pat Demharter January 6, 2016, 8:05 am

I am going to fold a crane in the spirit of peace.

• Jannie van Schuylenburg January 5, 2016, 5:07 pm

Dear Leyla,
    What a beautiful video did you make. Lovely.
    Regards and happy folding in this new year from Jannie.

• Leyla Torres January 5, 2016, 5:20 pm

Thank you Jannie, happy to see your lovely box among all my foldings of last year. You too have a healthy and creative year!